Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Tribute engine problem

Old 04-03-2016, 07:55 AM
Default Tribute engine problem

If have the following issue with my Mazda Tribute. Normally I am drivin in the Netherlands (flat roads, no hills/ mountains). I have just been to the mountains and had some issues. The car doesn’t start to 'brake' on its own if I release the acceleration pedal while driving on a downward slope. A few times it starts to brake but with a small touch of the acceleration pedal it stopped braking. In general in doesn’t brake and it slowly accelerate by gravity.

I have had issues in the past with rpm. It came down really slow (from 3000rpm to 1000rpm idle). The car was under warranty and the Idle Air Control Valve has been changed. Actually it didn’t improve much. According the garage it is a typical Mazda behavior. Accepted the issues and I did care up to now.

I cant find the issue and need some help. I suspect the TPS (throttle position sensor). Can I test the sensor by myself? I don’t want to spend money before I am sure.

Any other people experienced the same issue? Could the TPS cause this problem? Any ideas were to search?

The car is not braking on downwards slopes by the engine. Even when I drive 2000RPM the speed (and RPM) are slowly increasing by gravity even without touching the acceleration pedal. Without driving, or declutched or with flat roads the RPM coming back to 1000RPM (idle setting). Only a typical issue on downward slopes.

Awaiting some help. Thx, Mike

Old 04-11-2016, 06:55 AM

The only way i can get engine braking out of my 2005 V6 tribute is to push the button to take it out of overdrive but it does not do a lot it may take it from 100kph down to about 90 on a reasonably steep grade

Old 06-27-2016, 07:55 AM

Problem solved!!! Vacuum hose from the back of the throttle body was degraded. Replaced TPS as well. Reset ECU afterwards. No issues anymore. Many thanks for all advices.