Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Shifting out of park

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Question Shifting out of park

Probably been asked before but my 04 Trib at times when I pull it out of park, its doesnt want too like I dont have the brake pushed. The wheels can be straight with no bind, steering wheel free turning and yet shift lever doesn't want to go into reverse from park. I have to push the lever up and down then I hear the CLICK that releases the lever and then it moves. That CLICK, is there a lock sticking or something?

Old 08-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Banned

Do you park on a hill? Before putting it in to park, I would pull the handbrake which locks the vehicle in place, then put it in Park. Then it should be easier when you remove it from park.
1) Handbrake on 2) Put it in Park 3) Remove from Park 4) Handbrake off

Old 08-01-2012, 07:24 PM

Nope. It can be parked in my garage, totally flat or in a parking lot, totally flat. No pressure at all on the park gear. When the lever does move, its very easy, no bind on it like the CLUNK you would hear if parked on a hill when you put it in gear since all the trucks weight was pushing on that parked gear.. I know what you are talking about, thats not it. It's whatever locks the gear lever from coming out of park, that safety lock like you don't have the brake pushed first but I can push the brake, pump it.. whatever that doesn't make a difference until I wiggle the shift lever up then down. I can even turn the steering wheel ( of what I can ) and that makes no difference. I know if the steering wheel on cars, if the steering wheel locks on a bind, that effect it but this isn't the case.

Last edited by MikeysTribby; 08-01-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 AM

My 02 does the same thing at times.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:26 AM

Yes exactly, its only at times, not all the time. But i'd say atleast 50% of the time it does it. You can actually hear the CLICK when it releases the shift lever. It's like the lock is sticking when it doesn't release.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

Its a common problem with these vehicles. Get it fixed before it breaks completely and your stuck in park full time.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:43 AM

My son's '01 does the same at times the past two weeks. We just rock it back and forth once or twice and that usually does it. Going to have it looked at before it fails 100%.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 PM

Maybe you've fixed it by now, but I have the same "problem" and managed a very easy way around it.

Treat it like air breaks or air shocks. In other words, wait for the engine to run about 10seconds before you step on the brake pedal. If then still doesn't work, pump the break pedal a few times slowly (once is usually enough). That should release the shifter.

It could be that the engaging system isn't releasing quickly enough. Some drivers try reversing from a drive position while the vehicle is still moving slowly. BAD IDEA! Come to a complete stop, and then put it in reverse. If you were one of the "BAD IDEA" drivers, maybe that's way it does this to you. I bought mine use ... and still love it!