Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Sensor issue or coil issue?

Old 04-29-2009, 06:58 AM
Default Sensor issue or coil issue?

I have an '02 Mazda Tribute w/ roughly 150k miles on it, just recently when I come to a stop the car starts to lurch and jump, almost like it is going to stall while I am sitting at a stop light for example. I accelerate just fine when it is doing this and the problem usually stops after a few stop starts. The odd thing is it doesn't do it all of the time, just randomly. I have had a code check on it and nothing pops up. So I am not sure if a something is occasionally sticking on one of the sensors or if it could possibly be a coil issue. Any suggestions on what this could be. I hate to take this to the shop if it is something I could have easily done on my own.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:05 PM

Easy thing first: make sure your throttle linkage is free, clean and secure; sometimes dirt or wear causes the throttle not to consistently return to true idle; the ECU gets confused as a result and makes things worse trying to compensate.
Beyong easy:
Fairly common causes for the symptoms you describe are the EGR is fouled or the IAC is sticking. The idle air control is fairly easy to strip and clean.
The EGR issue unfortunately is more common and involves not just the EGR valve itself (the stem gets jammed by varnish deposits and has to be burnished so it operates freely) but also the engine side plumbing to its ports get clogged with carbon and they have to be soaked with cleaner and reamed out after the gook is softened.
Getting the EGR out and stripping it is a S.O.B. so google Mazda EGR stalling idle
and you'll find enough info to make an informed choice on whether you want to do it yourself or pay the garage. (Make sure the garage includes the EGR port and cleanout of the plumbing though).