Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Road Noise, Already Replace Front Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Default Road Noise, Already Replace Front Bearing

Hi Everyone. Glad I found this forum...

My 2001 4wd Tribute started making a growling sound at speed. The sound is noticeable at around 30mph and up. It gets worse taking right curves at speed, and vanishes on a left curve. Moving the steering wheel lightly back and forth on a straight road, I hear it when the car leans left and not when it leans right. I do not detect any vibration through the steering wheel or in the seat, just a noise. I removed the left front knuckle and brought it to a mechanic to replace the bearing. He said it was making noise and replaced it for $50 plus $40 for the bearing. This has not fixed the sound. I guess I'm about to move to the rear left bearing, but I'm worried this might turn into a wild goose chase. None of the wheels have any play in any direction while jacked up.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:19 PM

First rotate the tires. If the noise moves to an other spot you know it is the tires.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:51 PM

Rotated the tires, noise remains.

Then, while putting them back, I had the whole rear end jacked up, so I could actually fully rotate the rear wheels, and I do notice the rear left hub grinds and vibrates while turning, so I guess I can call it a bad bearing, right?

Assuming it is, I've noticed that auto zone offers to lend a slide hammer with lots of attachments available, including what appears to be a "OEM/Rear axle bearing remover set" which I think is an attachment for the slide hammer? (if not, please correct me) Will this do the trick?

OEM/Rear axle bearing remover set (27129) | Axle Bearing Remover Set | AutoZone.com

Old 03-16-2014, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by exodave
Rotated the tires, noise remains.

Then, while putting them back, I had the whole rear end jacked up, so I could actually fully rotate the rear wheels, and I do notice the rear left hub grinds and vibrates while turning, so I guess I can call it a bad bearing, right?

Assuming it is, I've noticed that auto zone offers to lend a slide hammer with lots of attachments available, including what appears to be a "OEM/Rear axle bearing remover set" which I think is an attachment for the slide hammer? (if not, please correct me) Will this do the trick?

OEM/Rear axle bearing remover set (27129) | Axle Bearing Remover Set | AutoZone.com
I agree that this bearing is shot.
I have not had the pleasure of replacing a rear bearing. I suggest you look at a Youtube and descriptions on how this is done with your vehicle. Autozone has some good step by step procedures on their website. The tribute is the same as the Ford Escape. Look under either name for the info.

Autozone and many other parts stores will loan out special tools free of charge.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:52 PM

Replaced the rear bearing, and noise persists. What else could it be?

Old 03-18-2014, 04:30 PM

This is a wild goose chase! And I don't feel like giving you another advise that doesn't fix it.
Since the Tribute is identical to the Ford Escape you could go to this Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners place and ask your question again. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Front diff/transfer case? Gearbox? Rear diff? drive-shaft hanger bearing?

Need to get it up on a hoist, run it up to speed & use a stethoscope to find the source of the noise.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:50 AM

Is there any point to shooting all of these things with a laser temp gun after a long drive and seeing if anything is above boiling temp?

Old 03-20-2014, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

What temp is normal for the drive-line components?

So, no, not really.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:45 AM

Update: I took it to my mechanic to diagnose and he thinks the front transfer case is making noise, but mostly he thinks it's the front left bearing. This is the one he pressed out of the knuckle for me. I'm a little annoyed because he refused to use the Duralast bearing I gave him, and ordered his preferred brand, which now he thinks was faulty. I asked him to just do the bearing again and test drive it, and I'm out the $150 labor this time. But, at least we're making progress. I won't know for sure until he gets around to it after the weekend.

Quick Reply: Road Noise, Already Replace Front Bearing