Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Total nOOb seeks help with audio issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Default Total nOOb seeks help with audio issues

Hi all. Have a 2005 Mazda Tribute 4cyl.

The audio just cut out on it the other day. Now I wasn't driving, and don't know how loud she (sister) had the radio pumping, but I have a hard time believing that she blew all of the speakers simultaneously.

I really am not sure what has caused this. The radio unit will function, you can change the stations, pop in a CD and cycle through the tracks, adjust volume and audio properties, etc... just without sound. I don't know enough about all this to say for certain what the problem is. I know the first thing that came to my mind was a blown fuse. My dad says nonsense, he says you don't put fuses in speaker wires, he thinks that some wire has come aloose from the back of the radio unit. ( He is kinda old ) Another possibility I've heard rumors of is some sort of unintentional 'mute' selection on the unit.

None of these make any sense to me. I have checked tons of fuses in the car, found nothing blown. ( I have checked the underhood fusebox and the fuses located on the passenger side of the center console ) I can't get around to the back of the unit to see for sure if there are any loose wires, although I did pull off the false plate right under the radio and shine a light around in there, fumble back around in there with my hand for a bit, but no luck. The owners manual has been lost somehow in the house, so I really have no troubleshooting guide or anything like that to go by.

So my question is... What can I do to get these speakers back into operation? If a fuse is blown, what amperage is it, and where in the world is it located? Has anyone ever even heard of something like this happening before?

Thanks for any help y'all can provide.