Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

radio removal problems

Old 04-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Default RE: radio removal problems

Well that sucks about the wrong radio. Guess that seller will not get a good review. The kit is actually the entire Sirius sat system. The radio is just a compatible unit. You get the antenna, receiver, splitter, harness to connect receiver in rear to audio unit in front etc. I hope your existingsystem will work as well.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:41 PM

I am having the same problem as Viktor was having... I insert the DIN tools and do not get a click.
I push harder and nothing happens... radio does not budge!!

I have read a couple people having this problem and they have to remove the dash unit... how the heck do you do that?
I don't wanna... but I guess I will if I have to!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

KevDoginCA

Old 04-16-2007, 04:46 PM

Have you tried accessing the access holes in the sides of the radio housing as pictured in previous post?

Old 04-16-2007, 05:03 PM

Hi All!

I finally got the stereo removed... after many hours of frustration, I took it into a stereo installation place and they removed it for me. They also had problems in removing the unit. They had to disassemble the dash to get the unit out.

It turns out the clips that hold the factory stereo in were bent away from the holes as to avoid being caught by the din tools. Sneaky bastards! It took the installer guy 30 minutes to remove and it cost me $25... but well worth it!

Thanks to everyone who gave assistance!

KevDoginCA

p.s. The only other minor problem with my installation was since this was a double din (or 1-1/2 din... whichever)... I had to put the stereo on the bottom and the pocket on top of the trim kit because of the mount guide on the back of the stereo. A little annoying, but I can live with that.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:13 PM

Yeah, same thing happened to me. I went to install new DDIN Pioneer AVIC unit in my wife's Tribute to find out the Ford DIN tools didn't do the job. I had to pull the dash (leaving the wiring connected) and noticed my tabs were bent outwards so the DIN tools wouldn't engage. I used a flat head screwdriver to push them in. I could only get the top DIN tools in while pushing the tabs in which was good enough. They only were there to hold the tabs in. I used the screwdriver again to pry the stereo out from both sides about 1/2". I was then able to get my hand under the unit enough to slip them into an empty gap in the stereo's chassis to get it out a little farther but I didn't have the correct leverage. I could then use the DIN tools to get it the rest of the way out and it just slid out with ease at that point. It was a REAL PITA but I'm glad I got it out.

Now for the install.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Default About the tributr radio

Can someone tell me where those holes are on 2005 mazda tribute to remove the radio?

Old 06-01-2009, 12:47 PM

Not sure on the 05 radio, but the 02 model has vertical trim pieces on either side of the radio that pop off to reveal the holes. Maybe someone can chime in to confirm if this is true about the 05 model.

Update: Installed an aftermarket unit last night in our 02; turns out we had to remove the dash panel to gain access under the stock radio. The stock radio has a white plastic guide that slides on a metal rail; it was stuck and would not let the radio slide forward. After applying some WD40 and pulling from the back of the radio it popped right out.

Last edited by Clockman02Tribute; 06-03-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-13-2010, 07:38 PM

I'm hoping this thread gets bumped enough for someone to repost those pics in the thread. My son and I are going to be dealing with installing an aftermarket stereo in our '04 Tribute soon, and I have a feeling we'll need all the help we can get.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by DonGee
I'm hoping this thread gets bumped enough for someone to repost those pics in the thread. My son and I are going to be dealing with installing an aftermarket stereo in our '04 Tribute soon, and I have a feeling we'll need all the help we can get.
Yes, please repost the photos, OR add some further info...

After removing the trim, I've noticed a total of 10 holes. The 4 DIM removal tools that are discussed can only be placed into a total of 8 holes... so, which holes do you use, and which do you ignore?

Thank you!

Old 01-02-2011, 05:50 PM
dac

Thanks for the info re removal of Tribute stereo.
I am attempting to remove one from a 03 Tribute but can only get the left side to release.
How do i access the photos you have posted? All i see are the path to the photo but no link.

Thanks for any help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: radio removal problems