Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Over drive feature on Tribute LX V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Default Over drive feature on Tribute LX V6

Hi all,
its been a while and i was hoping that someone can help me.
I still have issues with the RPM but i was wondering if the Over Drive feature
is causing the Tribute lack of fast response when accelerating.
I found that if i have the over drive off the highway rpm is around 3000 and there's no problem going up hills or with truck pickup power.
Any idea what to do with Over drive which is on everytime i start the car and is it safe to ride with it off????

Any suggestion will really be appreciated I hate itwhen the truck doesn't responds as it should its distrating since i keep checking where the RPM is.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Default RE: Over drive feature on Tribute LX V6

This is an issue with the Tribute's powertrain...let me explain...

First, there's nothing wrong with your Tribute. The way it accelerates has to do with the way it is geared.

This is a Ford powertrain, the V6 coming from a car (Taurus), same thing with the transmission (Contour). This setup is geared too high for the heavier, boxier Tribute. As a result, when your transmission shifts into 4th gear and locks out the torque converter (making a direct connection between the engine and transmission, like a manual shift vehicle with its clutch engaged), engine rpms drop way down. This shift and torque converter lockout occur at about 44 mph, dropping rpms to a low 1200 rpm. Rpms are only 1900 by 60 mph, and unless you are driving on a flat road with no headwind, this engine does not produce enough power to hold 60 mph at 1900 rpm. It is a high-revving, DOHC 24 valve V6, and if you floor it, you probably notice it pulls pretty damn hard after 5000 rpm. That is when it makes a lot of its 200 horsepower, and it makes a meager amount at 1900 rpm. So, the reason why your Tribute feels flat is because it is probably in 4th gear, locked up and not making enough power to satisfy your needs. Unlocking the O/D button still engages the TC, but does not allow it to shift into 4th gear. As a result, you are simply revving the engine higher, where more power is on tap. Leaving the OD button off will not hurt anything except your gas mileage. The Tribute powertrain is also quick to upshift, contributing to that flat feeling. If it bothers you, unlock the OD button until you are up to cruising speed, the engage OD again. Or, just step harder on the gas!

The upside to this high gearing and low rpms at highway speed is better gas mileage. That is why, on a flat highway, your Tribute will get 25-26 mpg even at 70 mph, equal to other small SUVs with 4 cylinder engines (assuming you have AWD).

Old 05-14-2008, 12:13 PM

I have to thank you on your replay, it explains why it behaves the way it does, mine is not AWD butI can engage AWD by pushing a botton on my dash board andI was told I should only use it on snow and ice and only on high gear, I had the chance on using it this past winter andI had no problem. I have come to like the Tribute and I can live with the lower gas mileage when i go uphill or to increase to highway speeds, with the OD off the RPM stays around 3000 and the response is good I just wish that this mix of Tran and Engine could have been thought out better.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:30 PM

Hi again Matt,

I assure you that your Tribute is indeed an AWD model. The button on your dash is to lock the AWD system into a 50/50 power split between the front and rear wheels, at all times that the LOCK button is depressed. Otherwise, the AWD computer is making this decision for you, based upon wheel spin and traction. Your Trib and mine will stay in front wheel drive mode until the computer senses that the front wheels are spinning in excess of vehicle speed. It does this using the anti-lock brake sensors. The computer matches the wheel speed with the sensors and compares it to vehicle speed through the speedometer cable in the transmission. If there is a disparity, it sends power through the rear driveshaft to the rear wheels proportionally. It may send up to 50% of the power back to rear, if, for example, the ABS sensors are reading 20 mph, but vehicle speed is 0 mph (in other words, you're stuck!). It may only send 10% of the power back to the rear if there is only a slight discrepancy in the wheel and vehicle speeds. Again, the LOCK button on the dash just makes a 50/50 split, overriding the computer. If you've ever owned a tradition 4x4, it would be like putting the Trib into 4 HIGH. I use the lock feature in deep snow, the truck doesn't get stuck before the computer notices, and its too late.

As for the Tribute's engine/gearing, it is not the ideal setup. It's like trying to ride a bicycle up a slight hill in the highest possible gear. It's hard on your legs. The slight hill with your Tribute is it's extra weight and wind resistance as compared to the Taurus and Contour, for which the powertrain was originally designed for in 1996. It could stand to be geared down a little, and be allowed to turn 2200 rpm @ 60 mph instead of 1900 rpm. This may actually increase gas mileage, despite the increased engine rpms, because there would be less unlocking and downshifting of the transmission as drivers step down on the gas in search of more power.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:51 AM

Hello TRIBUTELXOWNER

thanks again, you're a fountain of knowledge and at this point i should invest in a owner manual, when I bought the the Tribute it had no manuel and no history and since i have allways owned Toyotas in the past this is my first Mazda. I was surprised whenI went to the dealer for a replacement key and was told that in fact its mostly a Ford product.
AWD that explains whyI had no trouble in the snow and its a relief to find out that the lock its just a 50/50 power sharing, I was concern that ifI drove it on dry pavement could have caused some transmission problem.

Thanks again.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:14 PM

Hi Matt,

First, you're welcome, glad to help. Some other things to share:

1. Even though your Mazda is a Ford Escape with Mazda badges and different styling, the design is based on the Mazda 6 sedan (formerly 626). It was a joint venture between Ford and Mazda, who both had a desire for a small SUV. The Tribute/Escape is engineered and designed mostly by Mazda; it has the Ford powertrain and is built in a plant in Kansas City, MO. Most of the parts had Ford origins. The unique sound of your power locks...where you can hear a motor locking them...proves its Ford origins. You only hear that power lock sound in other Fords. Take a look at your climate control panel...right out of a Ford...which, unfortunately, means no separate recirculation feature; it only comes on when the A/C is on (MAX A/C).

2. The Duratec 3.0 V6 is an EXCELLENT engine. It is very highly regarded as a very low maintenance, durable, trouble-free powerplant. A major advantage of this engine, especially over Toyotas and Hondas, is that it has a timing chain which does not need to be changed, unlike timing belts. The only complaint mechanics have about the Duratec is its oil capacity...close to 6 quarts.

3. Get your transmission fluid flushed and refilled at 50,000 miles, if not sooner. Insist that the shop use Ford Mercon V fluid. This usually costs ~$100.

4. The Tribute/Escape V6 has five year coolant in it. You wont need a cooling system service for at least 5 years.

5. If you here some clunking coming out of the front end while going over bumps, it usually means the sway bar links have worn out and are making noise. Mine went at 30K miles, had them replaced under warranty.

6. If you can, open the doors from the inside with TLC. The door opening mechanism is a bit on the chintzy side, and there are many stories in this forum about them breaking inside the door. It's a $300 fix.

If I think of anything else, I drop back in!