Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

oil pan gasket leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Default oil pan gasket leak?

Changed the oil yesterday in my 2002 Tribute and notice that the oil pan was wet with oil. I haven't notice in pooling of oil on the ground or smell of burning oil. I looked around the oil pan at the seal and noticed that is was wet with oil. Along with the bolts. Any thoughts?

Old 01-11-2006, 02:23 AM
Default RE: oil pan gasket leak?

Oil pan gasket is know to leak but make sure that source is from the pan and not from the oil filter or elsewhere. If gasket area is damp all the way around, especially at the front near the radiator side then good chance that the pan gasket is leaking a bit. Not a big deal to change out gasket for pan if needed.

Old 01-23-2006, 01:16 PM

If the oil pan gasket is leaking and your vehicle has power train warranty still....this should be covered.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:28 AM

I just brought in my 2002 V6 4WD for normal oil change/tire rotation work and was told the oil pan seal was developing a leak. I was quoted a bit over $200 for the replacement. Is this something I can do myself and save some real money or is it a messy job that is worth paying someone else to do? I was also quoted a similar $$ figure for a crankshaft seal replacement.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:13 AM

Drain the oil, wait a long time for the oil to completely drain from the vehicle, remove the pan, scrape the gasket off, replace with new gasket, reinstall pan, refill oil.

Those are the basic steps...It would be a messy job. You should get under the truck to see how accessible the fasteners are for the oil pan and whether or not you can pull the pan without dropping other major parts under the truck. You'll need to be able to get the pan completely out of the vehicle to change out the gasket.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:02 PM

The only other things you will need to remove is the left side rock shield and the exhaust crossover pipe. Make sure to spray the exhaust bolts good with penetrating oil too. Not a bad or lengthy job to do but then have done quite a few and have a lift that will put the whole job up overhead.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:23 PM

I own a 2003 Mazda Tribute & last wk. took the car in for an oil pan gasket leak.
I saw a few drips on the garage floor. The car has 83k miles on it & has been well taken care of.
The dealer took me under the car & showed me at my request the leak spots.
I don't feel this repair should of happened or been needed. I have owned other cars at 83k miles & never had to do it.
I am glad to see others have this leak. The dealer told me they had to replace the oil pan & oil pan gasket because Mazda changed the design of the pan & dip stick. I wrote Mazda customer service too & got the nice "we are sorry junk" but they never answered the questions. The dealer said they thought Mazda changed the design of the pan due to other tributes with this same leak.
I wanted Mazda to confirm that but they didn't answer the questions at all.
Does anyone know if this oil pan design changed that would cause this expensive repair?
It makes no sense to me, all I see on the car is a new oil pan bottom, so in my mind how could the gasket change that much as it still fits onto the same design upper part of the pan bottom attaches to?
It truly sounds like a snow job. They had the car 7 hrs., also replaced another gasket on the side of the engine block & both belts(water pump & alternator). Total bill was $ 1015.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:56 AM

I too have an "oil pan gasket leak"under my 2003 Mazda Tribute (5 years old with 35000 miles). Mazda redesigned the oil pan with an imbedded O ring in lieu of a gasket. The dealers want to sell the newly designd pan installed for $440 + tax (Medford, NY). You can buy a gasket for the original pan and do it yourself or maybehavea local mechanic do it (I don't know if it's worth it).Mazda112 said they would tryto save me a few bucks by having MAZDA pick up the price of the part. I have a feeling this may be a manufacturer defect and MAZDA is not addressing the issue. I have never heard of so many of the same vehicle with the same problem of an oil pan leak. At 58 years old and having owned 15 to 20 vehicles the only memory I haveof an oil pan leak was in the late 1960s with a 1956 chevy. I snugged up the pan screws-problem solved! Does anyone know how a "recall" is determined by an automobilecompany? Are there State authorites that go to bat for people with problems like this? Any recommendations, feel free to email me.
Thanks.

TCASPB@AOL.COM

Old 12-01-2007, 12:37 PM

I also have an oil pan gasket leak. 2002 Tribute v6 es, 85000 miles. Live in South florida, any idea what this should run to repair? Think I can do it myself? I would love to do it myself if it's as easy as sliding under the truck, draining the oil and removing the pan and replacing the gasket. But if it requires removing a bunch of other parts to access the pan, then that makes me nervous. I've said in a previous post regarding this issue, I am of the female persuasion but love to learn how to fix stuff. It really makes me feel good to do things like this on my own and save all that money. So if there are books I can turn to, or websites I would love the advice. thanks, Marion

Old 01-22-2008, 03:17 PM

I have the same problem on my 03 Tribute...my oil pan is leaking. It's a very slow leak, but I've dropped about a quart since my last oil change (about 3500 miles ago). I think I'm going to try and fix it myself as I plan on trading this car in for something else. Honestly, I haven't been too happy with this car.

Quick Reply: oil pan gasket leak?