Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Need opinions on this episode of misfire...

Old 01-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Default Need opinions on this episode of misfire...

A friend of mine has been having issues since some idiot changed the motor on his 03 Tribute ES, automatic, with 166K. I helped him out by connecting many loose hoses. This guy emptied both catalytic convertors by the manifold, that's what the muffler shop said, so we are stuck. We are not going to spend $1000's on catalytic convertors. The car runs better now and we ended up changing 3 injectors and 3 plugs. The engine light comes on and throws 305, 316, 2195, 2197,....etc or a combination, and when it does the car will run like crap, which is expected. When I erase the codes the car runs like a champ. Not sure how to diagnse it. How do I know which is bad? O2 sensors? will replacing the sensors help even though the catalytic is gutted? The scanner also says EGR, PVC, EVP. I cleaned all of these components, but the problem is all the codes come on together, not sure what the heck it is. I checked all coils and all make the engine miss when I unplug them. We are trying to sell the car, but trying to eliminate some issues that make it backfire and run like crap the minute the engine light comes on. We can sell it by resetting the codes and sell it to someone, but that won't be right. Any ideas please?