Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Need Help with P0340 Code

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 11:38 PM
Default Need Help with P0340 Code

Recent purchase of a 2005 Tribute 2.3. There is a code P0340 Sensor 1 Bank A Circuit Malfunction code showing up and I have run out of ideas. I have reset the codes, swapped out the Camshaft Sensor, verified continuity from the plug to the main harness on the firewall and scratched my head. Not much history available on the vehicle, 216k and the motor was swapped but unknown mileage on the motor. It will not pass the state inspection until the error is resolved. It does seem to run ok even with the code. Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited by ritalz; 07-09-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

DTC P0340

CMP sensor circuit problem

DETECTION CONDITION

• The PCM monitors input voltage from the CMP sensor when the engine is running. If the PCM does not receive input voltage from the CMP sensor while receiving an input signal from the CKP sensor, the PCM determines that the CMP circuit has a malfunction.
Diagnostic support note
• The MIL illuminates if the PCM detects the above malfunction condition during the first drive cycle.
• The PENDING CODE is available if the PCM detects the above malfunction condition.
• FREEZE FRAME DATA is available.
• DTC is stored in the PCM memory.

POSSIBLE CAUSE

• CMP sensor malfunction
• Connector or terminal malfunction
• CMP sensor is dirty
• Short to power supply in wiring harness between CMP sensor terminal A and PCM terminal 69
• Short to power supply in wiring harness between CMP sensor terminal B and PCM terminal 95
• Short to ground in wiring harness between CMP sensor terminal A and PCM terminal 69
• Short to ground in wiring harness between CMP sensor terminal B and PCM terminal 95
• Open circuit in wiring harness between CMP sensor terminal A and PCM terminal 69
• Open circuit in wiring harness between CMP sensor terminal B and PCM terminal 95
• CKP sensor pulse wheel malfunction
• Both CMP sensor wires are shorted each other

Old 07-10-2015, 11:36 PM

Thanks grim_reaper for the reply but I am not sure I understand what you are telling me. Here is what I have for the possible causes.

• CMP sensor malfunction (three different sensors tested so far)
• Connector or terminal malfunction (continuity from connector to firewall, connector not tested)
• CMP sensor is dirty (new)
• Short to power supply in wiring harness between CMP sensor terminal A and PCM terminal 69 (no power detected on either wire)
• Short to power supply in wiring harness between CMP sensor terminal B and PCM terminal 95
• Short to ground in wiring harness between CMP sensor terminal A and PCM terminal 69 (not tested on either wire)
• Short to ground in wiring harness between CMP sensor terminal B and PCM terminal 95
• Open circuit in wiring harness between CMP sensor terminal A and PCM terminal 69 (continuity from connector to firewall....is this the same)
• Open circuit in wiring harness between CMP sensor terminal B and PCM terminal 95
• CKP sensor pulse wheel malfunction (no idea where or how to check)
• Both CMP sensor wires are shorted each other (not between connector and firewall)

Old 07-11-2015, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

What I've posted is straight from the Workshop manual. There are 11 possible issues/errors which can cause this fault code. You will need to work thru each of the 11 possible causes & eliminate the good ones.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:11 AM

Was reading an old post that talked about VVT causing this code also. I need to figure out if the replaced motor is the wrong one for this vehicle. A VVT motor with a non VVT ECM or vice versa. Getting more confused.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

If there is an issue with the VVT, there will be different codes.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:37 PM

There are no connectors hanging loose and no apparent open connectors on the motor. Spent some time tracing the wires from the CMP but did not get to complete the task due to time restraints. Hope to spend more time over the next few days.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Are you using a multimeter?

Old 07-13-2015, 08:55 AM

Yes I am using a digital multimeter

Old 07-15-2015, 10:49 PM

Talking to my son the other day and he suggested we take a look at the valve timing to see if it had jumped. It does run ok but a little low on power in the lower rpm range. Once it gets over 3k, it really kicks in. I had not payed much attention to this and just assumed it was a character of the small sized engine. I've always had cars with bigger motors. Not sure if this has anything to do with the P0340 code but we can hope.

Quick Reply: Need Help with P0340 Code