Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.
View Poll Results: Michelin Latitude Tour or Pirelli Scorpion STR
Michelin Latitude Tour
0%
Pirelli Scorpion STR
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Michelin Latitude Tour or Pirelli Scorpion STR

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Unhappy Michelin Latitude Tour or Pirelli Scorpion STR

I have a Fully Loaded 2005 Mazda Tribute V6. If you are unaware, the original Continental tires combined with the original camber setup is horrible. It is so mind-boggling loud inside the cabin I think I'm losing some hearing. It is absolutely unreal.

I am looking to replace my tires instead of fudging with the camber kit to correct the issue. The tires currently have a little over 51k on them and still have great tread life, but instead of fixing the camber now and then soon down the road replacing the tires too, I just want to replace my tires and be done with it.

With all of that said, I have been researching tires for my x-over SUV on Tire Rack. From my research it's come down to 2 tires. The Michelin Latitude Tour and the Pirelli Scorpion STR. And I am extremely confused with the conflicting reports on Tire Rack.

According to the Tire Test the Pirelli Scorpion STR is the highest rated, with it also rating the highest in my most important qualities NOISE and COMFORT. It also was rated higher than the others in WET conditions, another big deal to me, as Dallas, TX get's a lot of stormy weather. So you would think ok, go with the Pirelli's then.

Well according to actual consumer feedback on Tire Rack, it paints a different picture:

Michelin Latitude Tour

Pirelli Scorpion STR

As you can see, the consumer's are way higher on the Michelin Latitude Tour. So I'm stuck between Tire Test results that statistically prove that the Pirelli is better and actual consumer feedback stating that the Michelin is better.

Now ... just going through this I realized, the Michelin tire in the Tire Test results is actually the Michelin Latitude Tour HP, which is not offered for my vehicle, but the Michelin Latitude Tour is.

Its consumer feedback is even higher than the HP and ranked #3 in that category, compared to #4 for the HP and #22 for the Pirelli.

So my questions are:

1) Can I rely on the Tire Test results due to my recent revelation? Meaning could I swap out the Tour HP for the Tour and expect the same Tire Test results when compared to the Pirelli?

2) Can I rely on consumer feedback (which typically people only fill out when they are unhappy)?

3) Putting aside both Tire Test results and Consumer Feedback while knowing my actual issue of NOISE and COMFORT, which tire do you all recommend?

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Scott