Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Mazda Tribute rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:21 AM
Default Mazda Tribute rattle

Hi,
I've got a 2002 Mazda Tribute, 128k on the clock.
December last year I had the transmission mounts replaced, since then the car has developed a rattle, I'm not sure if the replaced mounts & new rattle are connected.

The rattle almost sounds as if its under the drivers seat, maybe a bit forward of that, I can be sat at lights and can here the rattle, then take the car out of gear and the rattle will vanish. Travelling at certain speeds I can also hear it too, at other speeds it's not there.

Has anyone any ideas or suggestions as to what it may be, and also a cure. I'm a total novice when it comes to car & mechanics so any help or advice really would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

jostu001

Old 03-17-2012, 01:11 PM

Hi! Welcome to the forums!! If you could please put your cars info into your signature (year, model, engine, trans etc) it would help us all out

Can you describe the rattle a bit more? Is it plastic like, metal like? Can you feel it at all? What speeds do you hear it at?

Old 03-19-2012, 06:20 AM

Many thanks for the response, I've a very limited knowledge when it comes to car however, the noise appears to be coming from underneath the drivers seats, on looking under the car I've notice the exhaust is the other side of the car so I don't think its that. It sounds like metal on metal, is a quick rattle and is more prominent when the car is first started, at slower speeds and at about 1800-2000RPM. It will do it when stationary at lights, and if I take it out of gear it will stop. Most frustrating!
Thanks again.
Stuart

Old 03-19-2012, 06:58 AM

1700-2000 RPMs is a resonant frequency found in exhaust systems that have issues and will rattle at this particular RPM (there is also a resonance at 700-900 and around 3600 but its not as strong) especially if you have a heat shield issue. I am still going to say its an exhaust issue due to the fact of the RPMs as stated above, the fact that it happens more when cold (first started) when the metal hasn't expanded yet and at idle. Now to make sure its not exhaust related you can shake the tailpipe when the engine is off and cold then listen for any metal on metal sounds, also have a helper rev the engine at the particular RPMs noted while you roll around under (or crouch next to if you don't feel like getting dirty) the car listening for the sound, you said the exhaust is on the other side so that should be easy to tell once your at ground level. Now I don't know the particulars of your car but I can imagine that the fuel and brake lines are on the drivers side (I wouldn't want them by the exhaust), check the lines to see if they are still clipped/bolted/held in place just to rule out vibrating brake lines(fuel are probably nylon) from the picture since that is a remote but possible chance. I really hope its something listed since I cant think of much else that can rattle with these circumstances, let us know what you find out

Old 03-20-2012, 06:39 AM

Hi, thanks for taking the time to type such an indepth reply. I took the car to a mechanics last night who kindly put it up on his ramps to have a look underneath. He told me that there appears to be nothing wrong with the exhaust, having said that I couldn't recreate the rattle as the car was warm! He did also find a very loose plate that protects the engine, it attches to the front left handside by the lights and goes back to the wheel arch. A bolt by the wheel arch was very very loose, he tightened this up and so far so good. He did however say that if the rattle persists then I should take the car there and leave it overnight so they can have a look first thing in the morning when the car is cold.

If my rattle does continue and it is the exhaust is there a cheap and quick fix? If it means replacing parts of the exhaust it seems a bit over the top for this? I'm assuming its in no way dangerous too?
Thanks again
Stuart

Old 03-20-2012, 03:44 PM

Might be the O2 sensor(s) loose.