Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

window switch replacement - babyhuey?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Default window switch replacement - babyhuey?

The power window switch on my son's Ford Escape seems bad, and the window is stuck in the down position. (I have sent the same post to a Ford forum, but am asking here as well, since the two vehicles are almost the same.)

It is the switch for the driver-door window. I believe it is the switch since it is affecting only the one window. Also, when I hit the down arrow, I hear/feel a switch action, both for regular down, and for auto down, and also can see a slight dimming of the dash lights. (Since the window is already down there is no window movement.) But when I hit the up arrow, there is no "feel" of a switch contact, nor is any dash dimming visible. (On the other three windows, I do see the dash dimming when the up arrow is hit, and it feels different as well.) In any case, a bad switch is my prime suspect.

My main question is whether the little panel that holds the four window switches can be simply pried out in some way, and if so, if there is a trick to doing this? Or, is it necessary to remove the whole door panel to get access to the back side?

BTW - thanks to babyhuey for the post of his that provides good directions for door panel removal. I'm just hoping to avoid doing that if there is a simpler way to remove the window switches.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Default RE: window switch replacement - babyhuey?

Sorry for being so pokey rschleicher. You have probably fixed already with a window stuck down but will reply for any future lookers. The dash lights not dimming is a very good indication that the problem is in the switch.
The manual says to remove the door panel but is not necessary. Use a plastic tool or screwdriver wrapped in tape and pry the switch out from the top only. Pic below shows the metal spring tab on the top and rigid plastic locator on the bottom of switch.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/055E750A1A6E410C9658AFA07E9F6421.jpg[/IMG]