Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Intermittent blinker/flasher problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Default Intermittent blinker/flasher problem

I have an odd problem with my 2006 Tribute. It has a V6 and is 2wd.
I had a trailer harness connected, but have since removed it.
About 2 months ago, I hitched up my trailer, checked the brake, running and blinker lights and all was OK. I went about 50 miles and noticed I had a fast blinker on the right side. I disconnected and re-connected the trailer hookup (4-way standard flat connector). The blinkers started working again and I checked the brake and running lights and they were OK.
Everything was OK until about 10 miles from home and the blinkers stopped working again only this time it was no left or right or emergency blinkers at all.
I drove it home like this, disconnected and unhitched the trailer. I checked an still had no blinkers at all. I removed the inline trailer harness and reconnected the lights as stock and the blinkers still did not work. I guess the Tribute doesn't have a flasher module (at least I could find no reference to one) and I checked any related fuses and couldn't find anything wrong.
I took it to the local Mazda dealer and left it (I tested the blinkers and they were not working when I drove up). They called me later in the day and said they couldn't find anything wrong and the blinkers were working fine.

Yesterday, I needed to use the trailer again, so I reconnected the inline trailer harness and tested all the lights and all was well. I connected the trailer and the right side blinkers stopped working--the left side and emergency flashers (except the right side) were working fine. I removed the trailer harness (completley this time) and the right side blinkers still would not work. I checked the grounds with an Ohmmeter and could see the voltage change at the rightside socket when the blinker was on, but no light.
I took it to Pep Boys (the local one seems to be pretty good) and left it (I tested the right blinker and it still wasn't working). I called a few hours later and they had just started checking it and couldn't find anything wrong---the right blinker was working.
This is bizzare---is there some kind of overload protection that automatically resets itself or maybe a sequence of events that causes it to be reset?
I'm going to try a different trailer harness.
Anyone know how to fix/avoid this problem?
Thanks