Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

How many miles do you have on your Tribute, and How many Problems have you Had?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:03 PM

04TributeLXOwner...that was my first thought when she told me of the "problem." I've been driving it the last couple of days and I can't duplicate, no matter how many times I try under the same circumstances she says it occurs. I'm still thinking it is the downshift you refer to....that and the fact that I think she's comparing the feel of the drive to my Ford Freestyle with a CVT that has no shift-shock whatsoever.

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by wopjob
I have an '06 AWD V6 with 40K miles.
Had water in a head light that was replaced under warranty.
Currently issues are:
1) there is just some wheel noise that stops when the gas pedal is released (tires? bearings? transmission going?)
2) the engine bucks a little at about 4000 RMP in neutral. drives normally otherwise. I noticed this when I cleaned the intake manifold.
3) when the car switches to the last gear between 40-50MPH the RPM drops to 1500 and a noise is heard like the tire hitting the noise strips on the side of the road. It's like a manual car when a higher gear is selected too soon. I can avoid this by accelerating a bit faster to get up to speed.

Knowing that these cars have notoriously weak transmissions I'm babying it when I drive.
A common problem with the transmission is a rumble strip type of sensation for a short second or so when shifting at the high end. Searches on this site offered the suggestion of changing your transmission fluid. This solved the problem for me with my 2002 4WD. It seems that the fluid change interval for this car is shorter than my other cars, and you are at the mileage where you may be due.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:54 AM

I have over 193,000 miles on my 01 dx. So far, we've not had much out of standard maintainence on it... brakes, a clutch after 150k, and just replaced the EGR valve. Still resolving the warning light issue on the EGR. I think I have to also replace another part people have spoke of. DPFE?... but other than that... smooth as silk

Old 11-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Default New "symptom"

Same problem as I identified earlier in thread, but a "new" symptom. Doesn't seem to me like transmission issue...the other day I was driving ('06 6-cyl. AWD) and just coasting along in traffic and the car, for lack of a better description, seemed to buck...kind of like a surge forward. I was not accelerating, just coasting along. Didn't notice any increase in RPM or notice engine rev, but it was quick and before I looked down the event was over.

Any ideas?? Would transmission occur more consistently? Bad coil? Fuel filter? Help!

Thanks!!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Default buck?

I got the same sensation when I ran over someone's grandma....KIDDING!

Good luck with that - the intermittent issues are always a challenge to diagnose. Hope it was isolated.

Cheers, Mark

Old 11-18-2009, 05:52 PM

On a side note, I have squeezed 73,000 miles out of my original brakes. My mechanic told me tonight that I have still 1/4 left on the front pads. Not bad, eh? :-)

Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 AM

Foerster10
I serioulsy doubt that this is the issue but I've experienced the same small bucking when it's in all wheel drive and I'm slowing down. Now I hardly ever have the all wheel drive engaged but when I do, I get the small bucking sensation at low speeds. I've never worried about it since it's so rare.
Good luck!

Old 11-20-2009, 06:19 PM

Wcraig -

That is the 4WD system binding up probably because your wheels were turning. I am guessing this doesn't happen when you are going straight.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by TomV
A common problem with the transmission is a rumble strip type of sensation for a short second or so when shifting at the high end. Searches on this site offered the suggestion of changing your transmission fluid. This solved the problem for me with my 2002 4WD. It seems that the fluid change interval for this car is shorter than my other cars, and you are at the mileage where you may be due.
Hey Tom. I saw the posting early on when I got the car. I had t he fluid changed at the dealer - no change. I posted early on in this thread how I'm able to avoid this - by steadly increasing power to go over the "spot" where it happens. usually at 45MPH at that point the RPM drop to about 1500 and the noise happens. The trick is to increase power so that the rpm don't drop below 2000.

Incidentally, I was revving the engine in my driveway in park to see if it would do it, what I found, instead is that if the engine is revved past 5000RPM with no load it "bucks" that is the RPM drop and raise. I'm not sure this is normal but I can't figure out why it's happening. During normal driving this is no issue for be because I hardly ever need to go past 3000 rpm, and the engine is of course under load.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:32 PM

2006 tribute, 135,000 miles, Replaced both front axle asembly,s back shocks, and need to replace frot sway bars. Did the work myself. Parts were cheep. Front axles needed to be replaced becous of the speed sensor ring that misteriosly broke after getting new tires at ntb... This is a small ring that is pressed on tp axle at factory and cannot be replaced by itself. This one little ring sets of both abs warning and 4wd warning. The engine in this car is the as my ford taurus that went 300.000+ before i traded it for this. A nice srong car that if maintained will last,,

Quick Reply: How many miles do you have on your Tribute, and How many Problems have you Had?