Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Hollow sounding "whoa-whoa-whoa" noise after alternator replacement

Old 05-19-2015, 11:23 PM
Question Hollow sounding "whoa-whoa-whoa" noise after alternator replacement

Hello all!

I have a 2001 Mazda tribute LX-V6 with 4x4 capability.... Although I just looked under the engine and noticed that it says FORD all over it!?! WTF! WOW!

Anyway, my dad and I recently replaced the water pump and the alternator. Both purchased from Napa. My dad and I installed them both ourselves. He's been working on cars since he was a boy so he pretty much knows it all except for this noise that has arisen...I've attached a zip file with the noise, hopefully you all can open it and listen. You have to turn your volume up and listen carefully cause it's not the first noise you hear...

The noise wasn't there immediately after we replaced the alternator but it came on slowly and quietly but is now getting louder. It starts as soon as I turn on the vehicle and lasts as long as the vehicle is on. I'm not sure if it quiets down when I'm on the highway or if I just can't hear it cause the traffic is too loud.

I think I have narrowed it down to the crankshaft pulley... I watched it while the engine was running and although my dad (who's 65yrs old, lol) didn't see it, I'm sure I saw it wiggling as though the bolt holding it was loose or bent. I tried tightening it but it was pretty solid. I'm worried that it's just going to get worse and break and wreck all the hard work my dad and I have put into it.

If anyone has any thoughts on what it could be or questions for me please send me a message. I would soo appreciate it.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files
File Type: zip