Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Help How to disable daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Default Help How to disable daytime running lights

Can the 2006 Mazda Tribute (Canadian Model) have the daytime running lights disabled? I have installed my HID's and they flickering because the DRL are only pumping half power to the lights.

Also does anyone have a Manual for the Tribute that can tell me the colour of the grounding wire on the DRL module box if there is one like that in the Tribute similar to my Mazda 6?

I have posted a link here that a guy in the mazda 6 forum was able to locate a brown wire for the Mazda 6. It was located under the dashboard. The Mazda 6 all i had to do disable the DRL was to just cut a specific wire under the dash on the DRL module. I am trying to locate the box to see if I can just unplug it or ground it similar to my Mazda 6.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/MrSpidy/...ng%20Lights.pdf

Thanks for any input

Old 05-07-2006, 12:57 AM
Default Anyone installed HID on a Tribute? Help How to disable daytime running lights

Has anyone installed HID on a Tribute?

Old 05-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Default RE: Help How to disable daytime running lights

DRL on the 06 Tribute is controlled by the SJB or Smart Junction Box which is just a fancy name for a body electrical control module. There is not a separate DRL module as on the 6. DRL is a programable parameter which can be easily turned off or on at the dealer with either WDS or newer IDS diagnostic computers. The only way to really turn it off by yourself is to run the parking brake switch wire to ground all of the time. Your headlights do shut off when the parking brake is on don't they. This will also unfortunately cause the parking brake light to stay on all the time as well.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:29 PM

i have a simple solution for fixing your flickering problem with the daytime running lights and your HID kit.
contact me if your interested.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:21 AM

Any Solution to fix the flickering problem with the drl? I've recently installed my O-nex HID on my Mazda 6 Hatchback. Can you please help me? Thanks.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:29 PM

Your link did not work but I know the brown wire that you are talking about on the 6. This wire is a branch signal circuit to the parking brake switch. You can cut this Brown wire and short wire from the DRL module to ground and will fool the module into thinking that the parking brake is on so it will shut off the DRL's. Parking brake warning light on dash will still illuminate normally if parking brake is on as that circuit has been not been affected.
You cannot do this same thing on your Tribute as there is only one input signal wire to the Smart Junction Box for parking brake switch. Shorting this wire to ground would turn off the DRL but would also cause constant illumination of the park brake warning light. DRL function can be easily disabled by the dealerusing IDS or WDS and selecting programmable parameters.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:18 PM

So, all it does is to ground this brown wire and it will disable the drl? and it will notfry any electrical components if i do this Mod? Thanks For your help.I really appreciate it.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:43 PM

Clipping the brown wire at the DRL module and shorting it to ground will not fry anything. It would normally be shorted to ground by the parking brake switch when parking brake was engaged anyway. You would only be fooling the module into "thinking" that the brake was on and DRL would be shut off. Your DRL's do not operate anytime the parking brake lever is pulled yes??
Just make sure that you short the wire from the module and not from the harness or brake warning light will not shut off.Diagram below of DRL location and a diagram of the wiring for the system. Note pin 1B to the parking brake switch.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/0079F904396941C09EC7D398705CB5A2.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/35B63A29685947CE862CD9B8A637DD89.gif[/IMG]

Old 08-14-2007, 06:31 AM

ORIGINAL: babyhuey

Your link did not work but I know the brown wire that you are talking about on the 6. This wire is a branch signal circuit to the parking brake switch. You can cut this Brown wire and short wire from the DRL module to ground and will fool the module into thinking that the parking brake is on so it will shut off the DRL's. Parking brake warning light on dash will still illuminate normally if parking brake is on as that circuit has been not been affected.
Hi guys!
Sorry to break in [8D]
Im trying to resolve the above on my facelifted (07)Mazda3 Touring HB.
Does this trick work on the 3?
Thanks!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by babyhuey
Clipping the brown wire at the DRL module and shorting it to ground will not fry anything. It would normally be shorted to ground by the parking brake switch when parking brake was engaged anyway. You would only be fooling the module into "thinking" that the brake was on and DRL would be shut off. Your DRL's do not operate anytime the parking brake lever is pulled yes??
Just make sure that you short the wire from the module and not from the harness or brake warning light will not shut off.Diagram below of DRL location and a diagram of the wiring for the system. Note pin 1B to the parking brake switch.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/0079F904396941C09EC7D398705CB5A2.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/35B63A29685947CE862CD9B8A637DD89.gif[/IMG]
As a new member I was intersted in your post on DRL. I have the flashing problem with my 2003 Tribute. Please explain how I can view your IMG files.
Thanks