Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

HELP! 2006 Mazda Tribute 4cl P0171 Code

Old 02-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Default HELP! 2006 Mazda Tribute 4cl P0171 Code

Good Afternoon! My name is Kim. I am trying to figure out what is going on with my car. I have a 2006 Mazda Tribute and about 2 months ago the check engine light came on. My car was running fine but now I have noticed a sort of constant whistling sound. Reminds me like something is getting ready to blow, maybe like a tube or something?? Anyway, I took it to auzone and they came back with a code P0171 "Bank 1 too lean".
Any suggestions on what this could be? Anyone ever had this problem?
Any assistance will be so greatly appreciated!!!

Old 02-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Banned

Read: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...t-codes-30863/
More than likely a vaccuum leak.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:51 PM

Thank you for your response! I have read it and will check for vacuum leaks and all the hoses. My brother did check that but probably not to thoroughly at the time. The only thing I have done is get a new air filter because i needed so I went ahead and got one.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:15 PM

Hey Noggin, Just in case(although I sure hope you are right because hoses are cheaper) but just in case it is not a hose or leak found, what would you reccomend do next? Do you think I should get a fuel pressure test because that would determine if I need a fuel pump. What do you think ? thanks again!

Old 02-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Banned

With a hissing noise, sounds like a vac leak. Check the main air intake hose as well that goes from the air box (which contains your air filter) to the throttle body as they have a tendency to crack. This can be fixed with Duck Tape, Duct Tape!?
As per other thread, if you can't find a leak, fuel pressure test would be good.
I would clean the throttle body and MAF first though.
Here is a good video on throttle body cleaning: Rough Idling Issues |*MotorWeek
To get around the issue of someone applying the gas pedal, you could just disconect the negative terminal on the battery first, followed by a few applications of the brake pedal to get rid of all leftover current.
You should replace your throttle body gasket when doing this. I like to remove throttle body, leaving it in engine bay while i squirt the crap out of it catching all fluids with paper towels. When cleaning maf, remove it totally and spray the crap out of it, then waving it around to dry. Both should be dry before restarting.

After this, drive for 50 miles or so. If code comes back, get fuel pressure checked.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 02-09-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:33 PM

Looks like you are in good hands, meme!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:56 AM
Default Thanks for the info!!

Thanks again noggin!! Really appreciate all your knowledge!! I will let you know what my findings are!

Old 05-26-2023, 05:26 AM
Default OMG!!! I have the same problem.

Originally Posted by meme2005
Good Afternoon! My name is Kim. I am trying to figure out what is going on with my car. I have a 2006 Mazda Tribute and about 2 months ago the check engine light came on. My car was running fine but now I have noticed a sort of constant whistling sound. Reminds me like something is getting ready to blow, maybe like a tube or something?? Anyway, I took it to auzone and they came back with a code P0171 "Bank 1 too lean".
Any suggestions on what this could be? Anyone ever had this problem?
Any assistance will be so greatly appreciated!!!
We are having the same issues I have a 2005 Mazda tribute 2.3 litter 2 wheel drive I. My car is a tweener built the middle of the year so some things differ a little. Anyway my other issue is when I turn on the AC it cuts my engine off. I am not your typical chick I pay very close attention to every detail of how my engine runs. I love all the guys that commented on this thread especially the person who listed everything to check because I trouble shooter everything My car is now at the dealership but I had a feeling it had a vacuum leak because I heard a very small whistle when I first started but not after it warned up I have already replaced everything on that list there were so many sporadic cones that came up like ECM little stuff like somebody didn't finish the cycle when they hooked it up to the OBD2 sensor anyway back to the story this is what the dealership came up with their first thought was the idle air control valve when they replaced that and it didn't work this is what they sent me just the other day what upsets me most is that because I'm a woman nobody listens to me I heard the small vacuum leak and I have told both the dealership and the other idiots I took it to before them a full list of everything that was replaced everything that has been done to it a snapshot of all the codes found with my own sensor as well as O'Reilly's AutoZone and someone else's personal sensor but no one listens to what I sent them turns out I guess I was right at least I hope I am this time because it was not the idle air control valve this is what they told me any thoughts would be appreciated by the way I never had any check engine lights come on ever my car purred like a kitten whenever I would turn it on it had a few slight surges so I checked everything on that list and replaced everything and still the problem wasn't fixed so the only issue I really had was when I turned on the AC it would cut my engine out completely the lights would stay on on the dash but I would just turn it off and turn it right back on without any issues they thought it was the ECM and I even replaced that and it didn't fix the problem

Let me know what ya'll think
did anyone see my post?

Last edited by Halloweenqueen68; 06-03-2023 at 09:16 AM. Reason: No one has commented 🥺