Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Headlights have Condensation Inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 08:39 AM
Default Headlights have Condensation Inside

I have a 2006 Mazda Tribute I. Both Headlight assemblies have condensation inside when I get a car wash or it rains. I have been told by the dealer that the Headlight assemblies need to be replaced. Dealer wants $1,115 to replace both. I can get OM replacement ones at ebay for $110. First, is there anything I can do to get rid of the condensation in the current headlights and then reseal so no moisture gets inside or is it best to purchase new headlight assemblies? And are the ones from ebay ok? Please advise.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:00 PM

First off, yes, they have a break in the seal some where to cause the moisture to get in and need to be replaced. If the water has not stained the inside of the housing or reflectors, and you have access to compressed air, you can clean them out and reseal them.

Before your do anything, and want to find the source of the leak, you can hook up a small blow gun to your air line and blow air around the headlight housing. A light application of air is all you need and is actually the preferred method. Walk the air gun around the seal and watch for any movement of the condensation inside the housing. This will let you know where it's leaking.

Next, remove the housing, and bulb. Stuff a sheet of paper towel in the opening. Using the blow gun, stick the tip into the housing and use full air pressure from the gun. Done properly, the air will cause the paper towel to "swirl" in the vortex created buy the blow gun. Use of a quality towel is highly recommended.

When ready to remove the towel, keep the air flowing and back the tip of the blow gun out of the hole. Enough of the paper towel will follow the gun to allow you to grab it and remove it. The towel should have cleaned and darn near polished the inside of the housing.

One word of caution, if water has caused any bulbs to break in the past, there may be some small pieces of glass still in the housing. They will fly out during this process so eye protection is a must.