Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Fuel filler rotted away

Old 08-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Default Fuel filler rotted away

I searched about two years worth of threads on this forum, but found nothing, so here goes:

2004 Tribute ES. The upper part of the fuel filler neck rotted off and left just the lower portion of the filler tube to put gas in. Fortunately, there's enough left of the fuel filler neck to get gas into. I found a part number for the entire filler assy, but the part where the filler attaches to to the inner quarter or quarter panel is also rotted away, so there is no way to mount the filler at the top behind the fuel door.

Is there a workaround that can be done without replacing the quarter panel, which has no exterior rot? I found plenty of people with severe rot problems in these cars, but most of those had to do with frame rails and shock mounts. Strange how I never saw anything about this when I did some research on the car before I bought it for my son earlier this year.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 PM

I have done that job on a Mazda B2300. The thing is also referred to a s the filler neck.
In the truck you remove 3 screws around the neck that holds the gas cap.

The tribute filler neck and hose looks like this:

Old 08-08-2014, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
I have done that job on a Mazda B2300. The thing is also referred to a s the filler neck.
In the truck you remove 3 screws around the neck that holds the gas cap.

The tribute filler neck and hose looks like this:
The problem is that the flange that the filler neck mounts to (at the gas cap area) is also missing, so there's no way to attach the new filler neck assy to the quarter panel. Unless there's some sort of a workaround, I'm going to have to fabricate a flange and somehow mount it the quarter panel, otherwise the neck is going to be banging around.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:52 PM

Problem solved. Yesterday, while doing some cleaning in the garage, I found the remnants of the fuel cap/neck that my son had left (I assumed he threw it out), and discovered something. The upper part of the fuel neck does NOT mount directly to the quarter panel by screws or bolts, but is fastened to a collar that, when assembled to the filler neck, sandwiches the inner door pocket between the neck and the collar. So the fuel neck pushes up into the pocket area from underneath, and the collar is installed from the top through the fuel door and sandwiches the pocket between it and the upper neck. The remnants of rusted metal floating around that area must be part of a splash shield, and had nothing to do with the installation of the fuel filler neck. The rotted splash shield is probably the reason the filler neck packed with salt/sand.

The new neck is on order. All I have to do now is separate the old collar from what's left of the rusted upper neck so I can reuse that, or I'll have to order one of those as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the feed back.
use PB blaster on that rusted collar piece.