Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

A few questions regarding my 2008 Mazda Tribute. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Default A few questions regarding my 2008 Mazda Tribute. Help please.

Does anyone known the ballpark figure on rebuilding the transmission on a 2008 Mazda Tribute 2.3 liter 4-cylinder engine?

I'm getting bad gas mileage and I am not sure what's wrong. I replaced both oxygen sensors, put in new spark plugs six months ago. I will be doing a fuel system cleaning service by a professional service shop. I am not sure what's wrong. Could it the fuel pump?

Please help me out. Thank you. I don't the funds for a full diagnostic on my Mazda.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:55 PM

Be careful not to throw parts at a problem...
I think there is no need to pay a pro for a fuel system cleaning. Use Techtron fuel system cleaner or do the ScottyKilmer cleaning job:
When the tank is at about 1/2 add 1 gallon of laquer thinner (not paint thinner!) and drive for about 100 miles at highway speeds. don't revv it above 5000.
Then fill 'er up.
Why do you worry about the tranny?
How much does it consume?
Are there any other symptoms?
How do you drive?
Is the CEL on?
how many miles on the vehicle?
Airfilter?
Did you clean the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner?
Are the brakes dragging?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Be careful not to throw parts at a problem...
I think there is no need to pay a pro for a fuel system cleaning. Use Techtron fuel system cleaner or do the ScottyKilmer cleaning job:
When the tank is at about 1/2 add 1 gallon of laquer thinner (not paint thinner!) and drive for about 100 miles at highway speeds. don't revv it above 5000.
Then fill 'er up.
Why do you worry about the tranny?
How much does it consume?
Are there any other symptoms?
How do you drive?
Is the CEL on?
how many miles on the vehicle?
Airfilter?
Did you clean the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner?
Are the brakes dragging?
I am not worried about the tranny right now. I just have a gut instinct that I got ripped off. I paid $2,906 for a transmission rebuild. My car luckily stopped right in front of a general repair shop. I had to drive it VERY SLOWLY on the streets. But I made it. The general repair shop had to take a heavy duty shop. They were not going to tell me the name. But they had to because I had stuff I needed from the car. I went to the transmission shop not owned by the general repair shop.

When I finally got the bill it just said Reman transmission. I'm going to call up both the transmission shop and the general repair shop to see what was wrong with my transmission.

I have 104,000 miles on my Mazda. I got new brake pads and rotors six months ago. I do want to try Scotty Kilmer's method but I don't own any air tools or an air compressor like he shows in his video. Air filter is fine. I am not sure if I need a new MAF or if it just needs to be cleaned.

Thank you for the thinner solution.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:03 AM

You must have looked at another video. No tools required!