Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Engine NOISE at startup. Mazda Tribute 2003

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Default Engine NOISE at startup. Mazda Tribute 2003

Recently started hearing a flapping type noise when I start my vehicle. This only occurs after the vehicle has been idle for several hours. You can mainly hear the noise at the 5 second mark and again at 28 seconds and it sounds like it's coming underneath the hood. After the car starts, within 3 minutes or so the sound then goes away.

Vehicle has 105,000 miles and never had any issues prior. I've also recently noticed within the last 3 months that my oil has been leaking quite a bit. I've taken my car to 2 shops and one said an oil pan + transfer cage needs to be replaced and the second shop suggested an oil pan + timing cover is needed to be repaired - not sure if that has anything to do with the sound, but thought I'd include it as well.

Any idea what it is? See the youtube video I posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytXoA4xFq_8

Last edited by omega13; 07-09-2015 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Yeah that is an exhaust leak. Could be coming from any where. Exhaust manifold gaskets, downpipe gaskets, blown flex joint. convertor or gaskets. Lots of possibilities. Would get it looked at. A leak at the exhaust manifold will rob power and fuel economy.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:22 AM

Thanks for the response. Do you know what kind of $$ range I'm looking at to get this repaired? Any safety concerns I should be aware of while on the road?

Old 07-09-2015, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Heritage Mazda
Yeah that is an exhaust leak. Could be coming from any where. Exhaust manifold gaskets, downpipe gaskets, blown flex joint. convertor or gaskets. Lots of possibilities. Would get it looked at. A leak at the exhaust manifold will rob power and fuel economy.
I've also recently noticed within the last 3 months that my oil has been leaking quite a bit. I've taken my car to 2 shops and one said an oil pan + transfer cage needs to be replaced and the second shop suggested an oil pan + timing cover is needed to be repaired - not sure if that has anything to do with the sound, but thought I'd include it as well.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Former Sponsor

$$$ Would depend on where the leak is coming from. The lower pipes would be relatively easy and inexpensive. The exhaust manifolds are an expensive repair. Generally no safety issues come from an exhaust leak.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

2.0, 2.3 or 3.0 ltr Engine? I've seen exhaust studs snap on the 3.0 V6 engines quite a few times. Once the studs snap the manifold starts to warp.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:12 AM

I also think that the problem is an exhaust leak.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:59 AM
Banned

Heard Video, I also believe it's an exhaust leak. I basically had the same thing. As vehicle warms up, exhaust warms up and expands making sound go away. On my vehicle the pre-catalytic converter is part of the exhaust manifold, making it a more difficult repair. If your exhaust manifold gets cracked, you need this whole assembly which is expensive. I had low mileage on mine and emissions warranty years were not up yet on mine, so it was covered under warranty. Yours won't be covered, if it needs replacing, hopefully just gasket and new studs/nuts.
Magnaflow now offers this assembly, please click on your region and check price: The Official Site of MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - Exhaust Systems For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles