Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Dead 04 Tribute

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 06:20 AM

Thanks for your help. But, I quite certain that a properly maintained engine is fine with a stock exhaust. The individual firing of each cylinder is timed so that the individual exhaust pulse is discharged from the system in sequential order, thus a smooth engine. The stock Mazda exhaust on this Tribute is far less restrictive than the one on your? car. On top of that, if your car is turbo charged it would definitely respond to the upgrades your performed and if you have modified that car it's only common sense that the exhaust should be addressed.

Again, this kid has zero money and I'm doing all the repairs for free, he's paying for parts. So dumping 800 bucks or more on exhaust work is not an option.

There's no need to get pissed at me, because I didn't rush out and take a photos for you. It's cold and raining it's a$$ off and I'm not lying in the mud to take photo.

I have the issue fixed and the car runs great. This kid will only have to worry about regular oil changes for 50K plus miles.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:35 PM

I have had the same issue of damaging the coils by trying to clean the engine compartment. I found that the plugs are deeply recessed and if water/oil gets down in that recess it shorts out the plugs and coils. The rear ones are a pain to change, but the front ones are easy If you are rinsing down the engine the water splashes off the rear firewall into the spark plug recess. Make sure when you change them you vacuum out any water first with a wet vac. In the front if you spill a lot of oil when adding motor oil, it can do the same thing. I recently had a mechanic spill a lot of power steering fluid, and then rinse it of with a water hose, and it fried # 5 coil and plug.

Last edited by slantnose; 08-26-2018 at 09:37 PM.