Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Broken door handles--within door

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Default RE: Broken door handles--within door

I have a 01 trib and the passenger handle broke a month ago. the driver side went the following week. I took the thing appart and found the plastic assembly broken. Have been opening using the manual lock ever since. The cost to replace is in the hundreds which I do not think is worth it. I will continue souring dump yards for crashed tributes.
ek

Old 06-29-2007, 10:16 AM

FREE FIX !!! I fixed the door handle problem myself. No parts. There is a hook-like configuration in the rear of the handle. I created a place for that hook to grab and move the lock button the necessary distance to open the door. To repair, remove the door handle assembly. You only have to remove the assembly, not the whole panel. Here's what I did... I drilled a small hole through the back of the lock button where it is beefy, directly under the point where the cable connects. I inserted a small threaded bolt through the hole from the top of the lock button. I used 1/8"bolt that measures about 1" long. Any longer and it will interfere with the other mechanisms. I had to grind down the head flat at the top (to clear the assembly housing) and I also ground it down to clear the re-enforced area on the lock. I pressed the bolt through the hole (tight fit, but you want it snug). I re-installed the assembly and it works like a champ! I consider it better than factory an really easy. I will gladly detail further if you would like to email me amp1117@yahoo.com

Old 07-02-2007, 06:25 PM

Sounds like tonyp may be onto a free fix that will work. If you want to just replace with the updated OE part that has been redesigned and beefed up about a dozen times for this problem and others then still does not need to cost an arm and a leg to do. If the problem is only with the inner handle and not outer then the little plastic hook breaking is all that is wrong and a replacment inner handle will solve the problem and most probably will never have an issue with it again. Inner handles retail for $82.39 per side or a bit less at $65.91if ordered from www.onlinemazdaparts.com. For drivers front door use OE part number ec01-59-330p. For passenger front door use ec01-58-330p.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:30 AM

I have had several requests to further detail the door handle repair that I came up with. I'm sorry that I didn't post photo's. I feel that I did detail the repair sufficiently and further suggest that you print and read it while you have the handle assembly in your hand. Still have trouble, just email me or send me your phone number. I'll be glad to assist. amp1117@yahoo.com

Old 09-23-2007, 01:31 PM

This seems to be a common problem. Both my husband and I drive 2001 Tributes and can't open the door from the inside (driver's side).
You should file a complaint with the NHTSA:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Maybe they will do a recall and we can all get it fixed for free!

Old 09-26-2007, 01:14 PM

'01 Tribute here also. Had the same problem. Handle just popped one day as I was opening it from the inside to get out. Did the window roll down - open from outside thing for a while before I finally got it fixed. Luckily I have a great mechanic and it only cost me about $110 and $80 of that was for the parts! I try to avoid the dealer at all costs!!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:57 AM

Thanks to all who responded. Took vehicle to dealer to get an estimate. They said around $300.00 bucks!-whew! They also removed and kept the defective linkage! I didn't realixe this until a few weeks later when I took off the door jam. Gonna try the junk yard route.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Default RE: Broken door handleswithin door

ORIGINAL: babyhuey

Sounds like tonyp may be onto a free fix that will work. If you want to just replace with the updated OE part that has been redesigned and beefed up about a dozen times for this problem and others then still does not need to cost an arm and a leg to do. If the problem is only with the inner handle and not outer then the little plastic hook breaking is all that is wrong and a replacment inner handle will solve the problem and most probably will never have an issue with it again. Inner handles retail for $82.39 per side or a bit less at $65.91if ordered from www.onlinemazdaparts.com. For drivers front door use OE part number ec01-59-330p. For passenger front door use ec01-58-330p.
Good info! Just had my inside driver's door latch break......looks like the problem with mine was the plastic hook of the manual lock button has broken. I'll see if I can repair it myself, as $300 for a replacement of small plastic pieces is just too high....

Old 02-03-2009, 05:14 AM

i had the same ting happen to my passenger inner door and it happen after my wife open the door at the same time i was using the electronic lock to unlock the door. anyways i found a temporary solution you have to remove the cover thats inside the door handle and then you can pull the lock twards you and itill open the door youll see it when you open the other doors and the lock moves twards you with the handle.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:38 AM

Add me to the list with a broken driver side (inside) door handle on the 2001 Tribute. I am getting by using my thumb and pressing the lock button in while pulling the handle. This works for me but my wife hates it. Also confuses mechanic and car wash guys cause I see them rolling down the window. It took me a bit to realize that the design is for that lock button to move with the door handle to open the door. Once I saw that I was set.

$300 is a rip off for what is clearly a poor design. One of these days I may try one of the fixes here.

Peter

Quick Reply: Broken door handles--within door