Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

cruise control question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Default cruise control question

Hi, i drive an '02 Tribute. Yesterday when I engaged the cruise control it would not work. The light on the dash to indicate that the CC is on did not light up.
I've read posts here that relate to CC not functioning when the light is on so what can I relate the cause to if the light, upon engagement, does not light up.

thanks

Old 02-02-2010, 04:52 PM

Have you maybe replaced your brake booster lately? That procedure seems to cause some havoc with the cruise due to the movement of the brake pedal. Either way, there are two switches that are engaged by the brake pedal under the dash. It's possible the top switch no longer touches the pedal, in which case the light would not come on nor would the cruise work. There's some more info here https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-tribute-22/2001-tribute-cruise-control-problem-8830/ that could help. Good news is if it's the switch, it's a relatively easy fix. Beyond that, someone else may have some input. Good luck.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Default cruise control

Thanks Falcaineer,
Yes, in deed, the previous owner, had the master brake cylinder replaced recently. I've only owned the car for 2 weeks.
I read through the link you provided and picked up the following diagnostic to check if the brake pedal is touching the CC sensor...With regards to the brake pedal switch... No doubt you will see that there are 2 switches on the actual brake pedal. One is the regular brake sensor, and the other is specifically for the cruise control. Unfortunately, the only way to depress the brake pedal enough to play with the switch "action" is to have the car running.... listen carefully to the 'clicking' sound of the switches when you toggle those switches.... check the cables to see if they are loose.
When he says "listen to the clicking sound of the switches when you toggle those switches" what switches is he referring to and what cable could be loose? Thanks

Old 02-03-2010, 11:19 AM

Follow the brake pedal up from where you put your foot and you'll see the two switches...the one on the top is for the CC. For your 02 Tribute, the switch will look similar to this one http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...387470k1191467, bearing in mind the one in the pic is the switch for the brake lights. The black plastic "plunger" is what contacts the pedal; if the pedal was moved during the repair, it's possible it pushed the plunger too far back into the casing, causing the issue with your CC. You'll need to remove the switch by disconnecting the electrical cable and twisting the switch off the pedal. Then, pull on the plunger until it fully comes out...mabye an 1 1/4" or so, and it may take some effort...and replace. The plunger will reset itself to the correct length once the pedal hits it, and the clicking happens when the pedal hits and moves away from the switch. He may be talking about the electrical cables running to the switches, but I'm not certain.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:28 PM

My cruise control stopped working & the dash light indicator would not come on. After checking the fuses & the cable under the engine cover, I removed the cruise control brake switch and in doing so a piece of debris fell out. After checking for continuity, I reinstalled it and it worked! Thank you for the guidance in diagnosing this problem!