Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

A few issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Default A few issues

I have had my 2002 V6 4WD Tribute for about 8 years now and it has been such a great car. Very reliable and a great all around vehicle for my job and recreation life. I have about 146 K miles on it now, and I am starting to have a few issues. I would love some advice on how to fix these issues if any of you have any suggestions. The issues are ordered most severe to least.

1. When my car switches to the last gear between 40-50MPH, a loud grinding noise is heard like something metal is dragging under my car. I am assuming that it is a transmission issue that is best to be left alone and get a new transmission when this one goes out. It is most noticeable and more frequent when I am driving up hills. One of the best solutions that I have come up with is to turn overdrive off when driving uphill.
2. My Airbag Readiness warning light has been on for the last few years, and I have just been ignoring it. I am assuming that it is an electrical malfunction or a lose wire somewhere. Sometimes it is just on and sometimes it is blinking, turning off for a while, then back on. Anyone know of a quick fix?
3. My Check Engine/Emission System warning light just recently came on after a long road trip. I have done everything that the owners manual suggested...Put a higher fuel grade gas in the tank, used fuel injection cleaner and made sure that the cap is on tight.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:02 PM

1: I would have that grinding checked out. Maybe it is not as bad as you fear and a transmission service or the addition of Lucas Oil Transmission Fix will do.
2: If you play with the sensor wires or anything take the battery negative cable off so you won't inadvertently set the bags off. You may try to unplug and replug the sensors to remove corrosion. That's the most I would do.
3. Get the codes read by the parts store. If it's a lean condition check for vacuum leaks anywhere. Store clerks and mechanics tend to blame the O2 sensors first, but I think that's wrong even if it's an O2 sensor related code.
EGR systems clogg up, Throttle bodies get dirty, carbon builds up, fuel pressure regulators fail. The codes help you to google for solutions others have found.