Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Airbbag light?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:34 PM
Default Airbbag light?????

04 Tribute, Airbag light suddenly came. No bumps, no sudden stops, Just started up and it flicker on and off a few second then stayed on. Anything that a diy guy can look for or do??
Thanks

Old 12-31-2008, 07:16 PM
Default RE: Airbbag light?????

you may still be under safety warranty from MAZDA, 6yrs 60k miles i believe.. give your dealer a call.
the connectors for the front seat belt pretensioners were prone to connection issues, make sure you dont have a bunch of
junk packed under the front seats.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:38 PM

i have an 03 tribute and have had this exact same problem. if you reach under the drivers seat, you will find (if i remember correctly) two plastic connections. they will not look or feel loose, but, if you press them as if you are pressing them back together, this will probably solve your problem - - -it works for me every time it happens.
Good luck!

Old 02-05-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by mstngsal67
i have an 03 tribute and have had this exact same problem. if you reach under the drivers seat, you will find (if i remember correctly) two plastic connections. they will not look or feel loose, but, if you press them as if you are pressing them back together, this will probably solve your problem - - -it works for me every time it happens.
Good luck!
First of all G'day all, newbie here.

We have had our Tribute now for just over 6 months and the air bag light has been an issue from the day we drove it out of the yard. It went back to the dealer many times and seemed to come back fine for a few days then back to staying on . They also sent it off to a Mazda dealership service centre (sorry aussie spelling ) who could only do short term fix as well. Our own regular mechanic came up with 3 fault codes U2018, U2017 and B1877 but still no permanent fix.

Now after all this frustration we discovered whenever we had cleaned out the car and got rid of coke bottles rolling around the floor we had no light ........so is it Mazda's little side joke about getting us to keep their cars clean therefore avoiding the connectors mentioned above needing fixing.

As a regular visitor to dirtbike forums due to my hobby, I am annoyed I didn't think of a forum for help on this issue, as now that I have I see it is an ongoing problem for many but something we don't have to keep throwing big dollars at mechanics for.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:34 AM

what does it mean if the airbag light on a 96 miata doesn't ever come on?
also my ABS light also doesn't ever come on.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:45 PM

Clean the connectors under the front seats. If problem persists, what works for me is, slipping a small amount of electrical grease in them.