Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

4WD lock lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Default 4WD lock lights

Does anybody know if the switch and/or lights on the dash are supposed to light up when you press the 4wd lock button?? My girlfriend has a 2002 tribute and the lock button works but the are no indications.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:08 PM

There is nothing on the button that illuminates, but there's a light in the instrument cluster to the right of the speedometer. It shows an "I" shape with the top of the "I" being indicating the front axle, the bottom indicating the rear axle. There are "wheels" on each end of each axle, with the front looking like they are turned to the left. This is the universal symbol for 4 wheel drive. I believe the light is in the far right lower corner of the instrument panel. Mine is lit when the 4x4 lock is engaged.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. Do you know or anybody else know how I could test if the light is bad or if there is a sensor that sends a signal to state that the 4x4 is locked??

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Default Re:4WD lock lights..

One night, when I was collecting firewood rounds on hilly muddy terrain with my utility trailer, I pressed the button on my 2000 Lexus LX470 to lock my center differential. But I did not see the "center differential is locked" light or "Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) is off" light on my instrument panel as I expected, but I did hear a clicking noise near the front passenger foot well. On the way back home, after driving back on to paved roads, I noticed that turns I normally coasted through brought my LX470 almost to a complete stop. My center differential was being locked up successfully. I just was not getting the confirmation light for the "Center Differential (CD) is locked" indicator on my instrument panel. Turns out that center differential lock sensor (Toyota PN #84222-12010 "transfer indicator switch") was not sensing the correct locked state of the center differential. Removing, cleaning, and then reinstalling the sensor solved the problem.
=======
george
Used Cars

Old 03-16-2009, 07:51 PM

Here's a simple test. Push the button and makes some turns on dry pavement. If it feels like the wheels are binding up, it's engaged. Also, when the button is depressed, when you drive forward a few feet, usually an audible "clunk" is heard underneath the vehicle (especially if the driver's door is open when you do this). Same thing when 4WD is disengaged.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Default 4Wd light will not go OFF!

I just bought my 2003 mazda tribute dont know much about them. My vehicle was off and my little girl pushed the 4wd button underneath the radio on the dash. When i cranked it i noticed light was on figured i would push it again to turn off and nothing. The light is not blinking just steady on. Light will not go off but the 4wd is working. I can feel the wheels locking. I read the manuel its just described the modes. Any idea whats going on or how to get it off? Can u turn it off through the steering column?