Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2004 Tribute V6 problem: engine can't go over 2k rpm

Old 01-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Default 2004 Tribute V6 problem: engine can't go over 2k rpm while driving

First post here.

I have a 2004 Tribute V6 that I recently changed all the plugs and coil packs on after having a few error codes on misfires and coil packs 4 & 5 came up.

After the change the car ran fine for about a week when the CEL came on again. My father in law checked the code and it was P0430 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (bank 2-front) He first thought it was because of the O2 sensors reading something different then what it had been reading before the plugs and coil packs were replaced. I don't know if he erased the code? Or if it went off by itself.

The next day I went to drive it and I could not get it to go over 2k rpm? From 0 to around 1800 rpm everything seems fine but once I get to 2k or try to go above that there is no power. And the engine sounds really loud (almost like the engine is hitting the rev limiter?) And going up hill is near impossible.

The CEL has not come back on. Which seems strange to me. The engine idles fine and when in park will Rev up just fine. The problem only occurs when driving the car.

I know the P0430 code would lead me to believe the problem is with the front CAT? But I have done some searching and came across this "DPFE (differential pressure feedback EGR) sensor tends to fail. The DPFE sensor monitors function of the EGR valve by measuring pressure changes in the EGR system. Symptoms of a failing DPFE sensor are hesitation or stumbling when driving."

I am just wondering if the DPFE sensor could be causing my issue? This would be a much CHEAPER fix then having to replace the front exhaust manifold/cat.

Mahalos for any HELP

Last edited by Xtant3150c; 01-25-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:49 PM

Well my problem was definitely the total destruction of the Front Catalytic Converter! Which sent all of itself into the lower CAT thus plugging it up and causing to much back pressure. This is what caused my engine to not be able to rev over 2k rpm while driving.

I will be replacing the Front CAT, but lucked out that the Lower CAT is not damaged worst then it probably could have been.

I still can't believe how the Front CAT just Melted and fell apart!

So still some work to be done, but I am glad that the problem was found and I learned something in the process.