Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2004 Tribute starting issues

Old 04-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Default 2004 Tribute starting issues

Recurring starting issue with 2004 Mazda Tribute ES.

4 times since summer 2010. July 2010, October 2010, January 2011, April 2011.

First 3 times the Tribute would attempt to start and then choke out. Then it would crank and crank but not turn over. In each case I had to wait until the next morning and it would start right up. This last time there was no attempt to start. From the turn of the key it would just crank and not turn over. Came back the next morning to the same thing. Waited 4 more hours and the same thing. When the tow truck showed up the driver started it on the first attempt.

During the January episode, I changed the Air Control Valve but that had no effect. Had to wait until the next morning and it started right up.

I live the northeast so the weather has been different on all 4 occasions. Hot, cold, wet, dry. No pattern there.

I've read all kinds of different ideas on what this could be, everything from a fuel pump issue to relays to an ignition switch problem. Originally I was thinking bad gas or condensation in the tank. But I've been keeping higher test gas and the occasional can of dry gas in the tank. I'm leaning towards an ignition switch problem (ie: loose wire). But then, why will it turn over (in most cases) right away the next day? Or right when the tow truck driver tried?

The dealer and a local garage say the same thing....if it's running we can't help you. But if it doesn't start have it towed in and we can look at it.

I've also heard that the error codes get deleted once the car starts. Is this true? Why?

Any helpful tips are appreciated.

Last edited by Tribute_guy04; 04-08-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:34 AM

It happened again.

I was taking a break at work. Hopped in and started it up (just out of paranoia). Then sat there and listened to the radio for about 30 minutes. Tried starting it just out of habit and it started, then choked and stalled. That was it. I tried one more time and went back in to work. Came back out about 90 minuted later and nothing. It's turned over but there's no gas.

Before my wife picked me up I tried to start it a couple times. Neither time did I hear the fuel pump whir that I usually hear before turning the key over to start. Either the fuel pump is dying (or dead), or something is telling the fuel pump to not pump. (ie: immobilizer).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this ongoing problem???

I'm actually hoping that when I try to start it today that it doesn't start and I can finally get someone to check it out!

Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 AM

Update.

Returned to my Tribute today and it fired right up.

Great. Back to where I've been. Not knowing if and when it's not going to start.

Any ideas????