Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2003 Tribute idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Default 2003 Tribute idle

I have a 2003 Tribute with 247,000 miles. It is showing the code P0507, I replaced the throttle body and the code went off for two days before returning. I've read that this code can mean a few different things, can anyone tell me what I should look for next? I need to fix this so I can pass inspection.
Thank You!

Old 04-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Banned

This P0507 code is one that's sometimes triggered on vehicles that have electronic throttle control. That is, they don't have a regular throttle cable from the accelerator pedal to the engine. They rely on sensors and electronics to control the throttle. In this case, the P0507 DTC (diagnostic trouble code) is triggered when the PCM (powertrain control module) detects an engine idle speed that is greater than the desired (pre-programmed) RPM. In the case of GM vehicles (and possibly others) if the idle speed is over 200 rpm higher than expected, this code will be set.
Most likely you'll notice the idle speed is higher than normal. There are potentially other symptoms as well. Of course, when trouble codes are set, the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp, a.k.a. the check engine light) illuminates.

A P0507 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following: A vacuum leak Leaking air intake after the throttle body EGR valve leaking vacuum A faulty positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve Damaged/failed/dirty throttle body Failed EVAP system Failed IAC (idle air controller) or faulty IAC circuit

Read more at: P0507 Idle Air Control System RPM Higher Than Expected - DTC Code
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com

Did you disconnect the negative terminal on the battery before changing throttle?

Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Banned
Exclamation

This P0507 code is one that's sometimes triggered on vehicles that have electronic throttle control. That is, they don't have a regular throttle cable from the accelerator pedal to the engine. They rely on sensors and electronics to control the throttle. In this case, the P0507 DTC (diagnostic trouble code) is triggered when the PCM (powertrain control module) detects an engine idle speed that is greater than the desired (pre-programmed) RPM. In the case of GM vehicles (and possibly others) if the idle speed is over 200 rpm higher than expected, this code will be set.
Most likely you'll notice the idle speed is higher than normal. There are potentially other symptoms as well. Of course, when trouble codes are set, the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp, a.k.a. the check engine light) illuminates.

A P0507 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following: A vacuum leak Leaking air intake after the throttle body EGR valve leaking vacuum A faulty positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve Damaged/failed/dirty throttle body Failed EVAP system Failed IAC (idle air controller) or faulty IAC circuit

Read more at: P0507 Idle Air Control System RPM Higher Than Expected - DTC Code
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com

Did you disconnect the negative terminal on the battery before changing throttle?
I know personally that Mazda never changes the PCV, although according to attached schedule they do it for tribute V6 only @ 100,000 miles! (which is way to late)!

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Tribute idle-mazdaserviceschedule.jpg  

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 04-30-2013 at 10:25 AM.