Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2003 Tribute Electrical Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Default 2003 Tribute Electrical Problems?

2003 Mazda Tribute
130k mi

Hopefully someone has an idea as to what is going on because I haven't the slightest clue.

Last couple of weeks my wife's Tribute has had issues starting. It's only happened about once every week, but she'll go to start it and it won't start. She'll wait a minute and it will start fine. The last week the car has been starting every morning just fine. Today, the car won't start at all. Nothing is turning over, however the radio, etc seems to be working. She did not have any warning lights on at all in the past weeks. Today is a little chilly (for FL at least) so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I tried unlocking the doors and locking them to see if maybe there was an issue with the security system, but nothing changed.

The only work that has been recently done was that I replaced the connection to the battery terminal because the posts were corroded and the connector literally snapped when I took it off. I replaced it with a new one from AutoZone, but because the radio is fine and other electrical parts seem fine I don't think this is the issue. We had the back 3 coils and plugs replaced last July.

Please help, Thanks!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Banned

Crank Position Sensor (CKP): 7 Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure Symptoms | DoItYourself.com

The most serious indication of CKP malfunction is intermittent start, and eventually no start. When the sensor fails, the computer will register a malfunction code and illuminate the check engine light on the instrument panel. There may be an indication of sensor failure due to defective electrical connections such as high resistance, or an open condition in the circuit going to the sensor or returning to the vehicle engine control module.

The symptoms of a faulty crankshaft position sensor include no start, intermittent start, and poor engine performance. This is because this sensor effects fuel and ignition timing.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:04 PM

UseYourNoggin, will that faulty sensor always cause a Check Engine light to come on? My wife tells me there was no light on prior to this happening. I just spoke with the service guy where we've taken it before and he said to hit the starter a few times with a screwdriver because they lock up sometimes. I'm going to attempt to do that but I don't know where the starter is so I will be starting there. (no pun intended)

Old 03-02-2013, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chicagoguy
UseYourNoggin, will that faulty sensor always cause a Check Engine light to come on? {usually, but not always}My wife tells me there was no light on prior to this happening. I just spoke with the service guy where we've taken it before and he said to hit the starter a few times with a screwdriver because they lock up sometimes.{ Perhaps, it is something easy} I'm going to attempt to do that but I don't know where the starter is so I will be starting there.{It will be underneath with a large battery cable to it)(no pun intended)
My take is either starter or relay. I've never had issue with crank position sensor not letting it crank, it will not however start.