Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2003 Mazda Tribute Needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 06:22 AM
Default 2003 Mazda Tribute Needs Help

Hi guys, I really need some help here... I have a 2003 Ford Escape 3.0L that started out throwing codes for a cylinder 4 misfire, cylinder 5 misfire and another code for multiple misfire..

Replaced all 6 spark plugs car had a still had slight miss when i test drove it, just made it back home.. Felt like it was starving for gas.. Replaced the gas filter and test drove it again with the same results.. When I went to remove the upper intake I noticed what looked like water in the throttle body and air filter tube so I put 2 bottles of dry gas in the gas tank and left sit over night..

The next morning it started and idled for about a half hour on its own and then all the sudden it stalled.. when starting back up it idled with a slight miss so I replaced all 6 coils and upper intake gasket.. Now it will start and idle fine but as soon as you touch the throttle the motor sounds like there is a governor keeping it from giving it gas and shuts off... Fuel pressure shows 60 lbs on the gauge and does not leak down after sitting for 5 mins... I could really use some help here...

Parts that has been replaced so far:
Plugs, Gas Filter, all 6 Coils, Upper intake gasket, Dry gas in gas tank, Throttle gasket, Idle Air control valve, Tried another upper intake, Throttle Body

Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 AM

What circumstances did this first occur? I.E rain, car wash, running ok before? Are the codes still present, if so are they the same? Where did you check fuel pressure?

Old 03-08-2013, 03:22 PM

This happened under normal circumstances, It was running okay in the morning when going to work then started missing on the way home, The codes are not present at this time.. Nothing showing on the Scan tool at all.. Battery was disconnected every time it was worked on So i am guessing the PCM was being re-set every time the battery was disconnected..

The fuel pressure was checked on the fuel rail just before the pressure regulator.. The fuel pressure regulator has also been replaced...

Old 03-08-2013, 03:32 PM

My experience with my 02 tribute three weeks ago was, lower mpg over a six month period steady decline. It bucked, sputtered, than quit. It had a misfire, and two ther codes. The pre cats where probably coming apart, the final single cat was plugged. Replaced it, runs fine.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 AM

Anyone have any help?

Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 AM

have you checked for any recalls Re/ your issues? I know that I have had two that pertain to your issues! on my 2003 Mazda Tribute! that I bought new in 2002 If so please Disreguard! Dan.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:51 PM

Jay: you haven't tried the lower intake manifold gasket. In most engines there is coolant going through the lower intake manifold. It raises the temperature of the intake air to aid in the fuel vaporization.
Maybe that is where the water is coming from. I don't have this engine, so I am not 100% sure. But the infamous GM 3.1L engine had this gasket go bad wholesale.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Jay: you haven't tried the lower intake manifold gasket. In most engines there is coolant going through the lower intake manifold. It raises the temperature of the intake air to aid in the fuel vaporization.
Maybe that is where the water is coming from. I don't have this engine, so I am not 100% sure. But the infamous GM 3.1L engine had this gasket go bad wholesale.
That would cause anti freeze to migrate into the oil system, I know.....

Old 03-14-2013, 04:30 PM

I am brainstorming here:

What exactly was that fluid in the air intake hose? If it was water where did it come from? Is the PCV system fine? Does the oil look fine? Does the coolant look right?

"I noticed what looked like water in the throttle body and air filter tube so I put 2 bottles of dry gas in the gas tank and left sit over night.."
I don't see the logic in this. There is no way that water from the fuel system ends up in the air intake hose because the fuel gets injected into the the intake canal.

If there is water in the oil it may evaporate and the steam may condense in the air intake hose but the airflow should send it down stream.
What you felt like lacking fuel supply was probably a period of misfire.

I copied this of UseYourNoggin:
Missfires Can Be Caused By a Million and One Things,

Vac Leaks
Wiring Issues
Spark Plugs(Even Fresh Spark Plugs That Are Crappy Quality.... E3 And Such)
Ignition Coils
Alternators (Search EMI)
MAFS
Injectors
Injector O-Rings
Intake Gaskets
TB Gaskets
PCV Hoses
PCV’s
Malfunctioning EGR
Malfunctioning CAS
O2 Sensors
Aftermarket Intakes
Intake Hoses
Vac Lines
Timing Chains
Timing Chain Tensioner
Broken Cam Gears
Malfunctioning Cam Sensors
Incorrect Crank Gears(The I4 Has Like 40 Different Configurations For Whatever Reason)
Incorrect PCM Flash
Issues Within The PCM
PCM Wiring
Bad Diaphram Within The FPR
Issues Within The Fuel Pump
Dirty Fuel Filter
Dirty Fuel Lines
Pre-Cats/Poor Exhaust Flow

So don't throw expensive parts at it, do the cheapo stuff first. Check harness connections, check ground straps and ground connections, test the charging system, because a bad alternator can do funny things.
Is there anything on this list you feel you should address?
Do you still get fluid in the air intake hose? Can you identify what it is?

Last edited by tanprotege; 03-14-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:01 AM

With a little more inspection and a lot more time, The problem has finally been found... The exhaust is really plugged shut at the converter after the flex pipe... Thank god it was the converter at this location since the other converters are attached to the manifolds and cost over $700.00 each... The exhaust will be replaced from the flex pipe all the way back in case of more plugging...

Quick Reply: 2003 Mazda Tribute Needs Help