Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2001 TRIBUTE-random trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Default 2001 TRIBUTE-random trouble starting

I have been having trouble with my 2001 TRIBUTE V6 for months. In April I ended up having the spark plugs changed and the ignition coil replaced. At that time there was a 'hose assembly' being ordered. When it came in it was wrong and at that point I was unhappy with the mechanic for other reasons. So I did not go back to reorder the correct hose. Anyway, I never asked what the hose was for, but I did ask what it affected. They said I would have trouble with the idle. I still once in a while have trouble with starting the car. It seems after it has been cold for a while, i.e. after being in work all day. I have to give it gas while turning the key to get it moving. Right now it hasn't happened in 2 weeks, but I anticipate it happening again. It's so random I cannot find a common situation other than when it's a cold start.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:49 PM

Any check engine light? Is it a tube?

Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 PM

Random things like this are always tough to diagnose. I think an electrical contact may be to blame.
In cases like this I disconnect and re-connect every harness I can reach. That simple action may remove some corrosion or fix the connection otherwise.
Make sure the battery cables are perfect and corrosion free, also check all ground connections and ground straps. If it happens again after that I would look for the the wires to the fuel pump and do the same.
Those are shots in the dark and in the dark we are in this case.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:02 PM

No check engine light....... And the fuel pump was apparently looked at by the garage. You are right though this is definitely tough because it isn't happen all the time and it's hard to explain. The garage did say there was a hole in a hose assembly but I cannot remember where. I am not the mechanic, but my neighbor is helping and I was trying to get more information to be helpful.

Last edited by lawbecca1; 10-17-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:05 PM

I have the same problem with my '03 LX - V6. A mechanic told me that my engine was flooded with gas, but he couldn't reproduce the problem, thus couldn't fix it.

He did warn that it'll happen again. My problem happens in cold weather (or really cold) where it won't start after the driving it fine the night before.

Here's my solution (and so far it works):
  1. Turn on the engine with your left foot on the break pedal.
  2. As you turn the engine on, feed it some gas (right foot bring the RPMs at 2k - KEEP BREAK ENGAGED WITH LEFT FOOT!!)
  3. After about 5-10 seconds, release the break.
  4. If it stalls, repeat steps 1-3 until engine won't stall once break is disengaged.
  5. After that, drive as normal.
I suspect a few things such as:
  • Engine flood
  • Spark plugs
  • Fuel System/injection

Old 12-24-2012, 03:40 PM

When an engine floods I suspect the fuel pressure regulator and/ or leaky injectors.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:36 AM
Default Mazda Tribute

I found a new mechanic and he was happy to hear my suggestions gathered from internet and the forum. Mine is the air intake. The hose must have had a pinhole in it and it was stuck flat. He put a temp hose on and will get me one off of a Mazda from the junk yard. Apparently you have to order the whole assembly from Ford if not. Anyway, that is one of the issues he is working on. I now am having issues with what I am thinking is the power steering pump. Noises and trouble with the steering. We will figure that out when he gets the other parts. I love my Tribute but I am dumping way too much money into it!

Old 12-25-2012, 10:42 AM

I've put quality duct tape over the ribbed section of the intake hose.