Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

02 Tribute RPM rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:10 AM
Default 02 Tribute RPM rattle

Hello everyone. 02 tribute owner here. Having an issue that is driving me nuts. My truck oftens "jumps/rattles" typically around the 35-50 MPH range during slow acceleration. Typically the car hangs around 14-1500 RPM and with an increased load (IE going up a hill), the RPM will jump up to the 2500 range. Sometimes it is felt, and sometimes the car makes a distinct rattling sound. Sometimes it can be felt downshifting as well.

This happens only during a steady hold of RPM's...and then the car jumps. If I accelerate at a faster pace...the transmission of gears is smooth. Or sometimes before the anticipated jump...if I momentarily let off the gas and accelerate through...it will prevent the jump as well. All of this is occuring with the O/D system turned on...and I'm willing to bet it's an issue with the overdrive itself and/or in conjunction with "locking out" with regards to torque conversion. Or could it be a TPS sensor going bad? Or is my tranny slipping and I need major bucks to fix?

Any help/feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Cookenbauer
Hello everyone. 02 tribute owner here. Having an issue that is driving me nuts. My truck oftens "jumps/rattles" typically around the 35-50 MPH range during slow acceleration. Typically the car hangs around 14-1500 RPM and with an increased load (IE going up a hill), the RPM will jump up to the 2500 range. Sometimes it is felt, and sometimes the car makes a distinct rattling sound. Sometimes it can be felt downshifting as well.

This happens only during a steady hold of RPM's...and then the car jumps. If I accelerate at a faster pace...the transmission of gears is smooth. Or sometimes before the anticipated jump...if I momentarily let off the gas and accelerate through...it will prevent the jump as well. All of this is occuring with the O/D system turned on...and I'm willing to bet it's an issue with the overdrive itself and/or in conjunction with "locking out" with regards to torque conversion. Or could it be a TPS sensor going bad? Or is my tranny slipping and I need major bucks to fix?

Any help/feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hello Cook.....I'm taking a guess here..Sounds like you might have "Transmission Shudder" This is a fairly common problem. A transmission flush and fill is a good place to start...That has worked for many of us, myself included. Perhaps others here will see your post and give their opinion as well......Hope this helps you ...and welcome to the forum...Bob