Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

RX8 won't start, suspect immobiliser issue :-(

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Default RX8 won't start, suspect immobiliser issue :-(

Hi, i hope theres someone out there who can help me.

I can't get my RX to start. i have two keys, both unlock the car remotely, but neither start the car.

The car has run fine since purchase, until this morning. it was parked up overnight, and wouldn't start today.
  • I have checked the battery which seems fine as all lights, stereo etc work.
  • I've checked fuses which look fine
The instrument panel lights up when turning the key, and the "Security Indicator Light" flashes repeatedly after everything else does what i would normally expect.

the car doesn't turn over whatsoever.

From what i understand, this means the car no longer recognises the key. i assume the fault is the car rather than key, as both keys have the same issue.

is it possible to re-programme the immob?? or is there ssome other fix i should be trying??

Really appreciate any help

Cheers

Steve

UPDATE:

Car started without hesitation this morning. key in, immobiliser light went off, and off we went. unfortunately the door ajar light stayed on, so i think the issue is to do with the secuirity system geting confused thinking its locked when its not and vice versa perhaps??

Has anyone else experienced this combo, and found any solutions??

Last edited by steve2k1; 10-06-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:28 AM

The owners manual should have info on how to program new remotes, and I believe keys as well... I've also heard of the ignition reciever module (that looks for the key) to go bad, so it could be that as well.
Do start with the manual though, could be something simple to reprogram and you're all set.
What year / model is your RX8, could be a recall issue for one of the 'brains' in the vehicle with a bad connection.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to reprogram the remote tomorrow.

Car started fine this morning, but wouldn't again at lunchtime arghhh. Now it's abandoned at work.

My RX is the 230 version, 2004 model