Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

Accessories and Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Default Accessories and Horsepower

What are the best accessories for an RX-8? Where you can you get them cheap?

And

What modifications can you make to increase horsepower!?

ANYBODY EVER REPLY ON HERE? OR DO ALL OF YOU NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS KIND OF STUFF???

Old 03-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Default RE: Accessories and Horsepower

I'll reply to your post. The best place I found for RX-8 accessories is actually E-Bay. A person can spend hours researching all of the cool stuff offered. Some of the items are battery covers, oil cap covers just to name a few, some of this make the engine compartment look really tricked out. As far as horsepower, the best thing to do is install a cool air intake system. This can increase your horse power by 5% or more, it also helps increase gas mileage a little. The next best thing , if you really want to spend the $$ is to install high performance headers and exhaust system.With these simple modifications your RX-8 will be hard to beat.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:48 PM

One word MAZDATRIX.COM

Any anything you do to modify the engine will give you more power. Also adding a turbo or supercharger will in crease horsepower.

Good Luck!

Old 04-06-2007, 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: zoomljz

As far as horsepower, the best thing to do is install a cool air intake system. This can increase your horse power by 5% or more, it also helps increase gas mileage a little. The next best thing , if you really want to spend the $$ is to install high performance headers and exhaust system.With these simple modifications your RX-8 will be hard to beat.

I do not mean to sound rude to zoomljz but his message really is for "his type." Any fool can put a complete intake and exhaust system on their vehicles. Don't believe me? All you have to do is drive down any road in the USofA and look for any Honda, Nissan, or cheap foreign vehicle for hispanics. Not that i am racist. You people think that you car is so badace with an intake and exhaust when you really have no idea what to do with your cars but put a pos body kit on there and take on the world. Please, for god's sake, stop this foolishness for it is destroying our youth.

That being said: Yes, an intake, exhaust, (don't forget the headers) and a RACING MUFFLER (Not a ghetto ace coffee can) will increase your engine output decently around 20 - 40 horses pending on the car and engine. However, if you have the money i suggest putting a Turbo kit on their (research this a bit cuz pending on the racing you do will determin the size and variants of this turbo purchase) along with the purchase of the exhaust system parts, because you have to get an exhaust and header thatfits with the turbo and if you end up doing a complete exhaust make-over to your car and THEN get a turbo you'll most likely have to rebuy new exhaust pipes and headers. The intake shouldn't have to be rebought. I have no idea where to go for these parts andcheap is BS when it comes to any car upgrades. My 2 pennies: Decide on what you want to do as far as racing goes. Track, drag, underground, etc. Then get what you can afford. For example: Just full exhaust. Then race people in that class. Where they have barebone stock cars with full exhaust like yourself. This will give you a challenge as well as a good racing feel with possible win everytime.

Another way to gain power is to obtain some kinda of knowledge on the engine itself. I am not too familiar with technicallities over any engine for nitty-gritty tune-ups. But i know that before you start adding performance parts you are able to adjust things, buy small wires and chips, wires, spark plugs, reflash the boards, and recallibrate the engine a bit.I have seen cars get as much as 120 horses just from this. But like I said. I don't know the technicallities of this stuff. I have friends who help me with that. Some of this stuff takes expensive computer equipment like the flashing. That you need to go to A GOOD RESPECTABLE tune-up shop not ran by a bunch of thug wanna-Bs.This way you can get good quality work with possibly a warrenty pending on what is being done. You will pay more this way but the work will be guaranteed. A very good idea when you are voiding your warrenty to the dealership.

The RX-8 is a great car but the rotary engine lacks a bit of Torque. You want to win races? Challenge people to a twisty windy corse. Keep the RPM's above 7000 and take advantage of Porche equivilent suspension. This is one of my personal favorite cars stopping short of the new Ferrari 599GTB Fiorano. RX-8's are made of style, attitude, and badace power for weight and size. Great buy if you can get one for $27,000 fully loaded or less.

Now if it is invincibility you want? Go for the 787BR26B 4-rotor engine. It is small, powerful, and still can be used in the Mazda RX-8 (with minor adjustments). Compinsate a bit in the rear of the car to maintain the perfect 50/50 weight ratio ballance and you got yourself a car that can smoke Corvettes. But there are two problems with this dream of mine... Finding this engine for personal use and buying this engine for personal use...

Hope this helped. When i get mine ill look for you on the battlefield. I am always looking for an honorable challenge. And please, learne to race so you don't turn into just another wanna-B Vinn Diesel.

Oh, and remember, this car is not a Subaru or an Evo. It is not all wheel drive. It doesn't have 300 horses. It DOES falls short in the quarter mile by about 1.1 seconds... But that is JUST 1.1 seconds.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:53 AM

ORIGINAL: auroradreamer0001

I do not mean to sound rude to zoomljz but his message really is for "his type." Any fool can put a complete intake and exhaust system on their vehicles. Don't believe me? All you have to do is drive down any road in the USofA and look for any Honda, Nissan, or cheap foreign vehicle for hispanics. Not that i am racist. You people think that you car is so badace with an intake and exhaust when you really have no idea what to do with your cars but put a pos body kit on there and take on the world. Please, for god's sake, stop this foolishness for it is destroying our youth.

That being said: Yes, an intake, exhaust, (don't forget the headers) and a RACING MUFFLER (Not a ghetto ace coffee can) will increase your engine output decently around 20 - 40 horses pending on the car and engine. However, if you have the money i suggest putting a Turbo kit on their (research this a bit cuz pending on the racing you do will determin the size and variants of this turbo purchase) along with the purchase of the exhaust system parts, because you have to get an exhaust and header thatfits with the turbo and if you end up doing a complete exhaust make-over to your car and THEN get a turbo you'll most likely have to rebuy new exhaust pipes and headers. The intake shouldn't have to be rebought. I have no idea where to go for these parts andcheap is BS when it comes to any car upgrades. My 2 pennies: Decide on what you want to do as far as racing goes. Track, drag, underground, etc. Then get what you can afford. For example: Just full exhaust. Then race people in that class. Where they have barebone stock cars with full exhaust like yourself. This will give you a challenge as well as a good racing feel with possible win everytime.

Another way to gain power is to obtain some kinda of knowledge on the engine itself. I am not too familiar with technicallities over any engine for nitty-gritty tune-ups. But i know that before you start adding performance parts you are able to adjust things, buy small wires and chips, wires, spark plugs, reflash the boards, and recallibrate the engine a bit.I have seen cars get as much as 120 horses just from this. But like I said. I don't know the technicallities of this stuff. I have friends who help me with that. Some of this stuff takes expensive computer equipment like the flashing. That you need to go to A GOOD RESPECTABLE tune-up shop not ran by a bunch of thug wanna-Bs.This way you can get good quality work with possibly a warrenty pending on what is being done. You will pay more this way but the work will be guaranteed. A very good idea when you are voiding your warrenty to the dealership.

The RX-8 is a great car but the rotary engine lacks a bit of Torque. You want to win races? Challenge people to a twisty windy corse. Keep the RPM's above 7000 and take advantage of Porche equivilent suspension. This is one of my personal favorite cars stopping short of the new Ferrari 599GTB Fiorano. RX-8's are made of style, attitude, and badace power for weight and size. Great buy if you can get one for $27,000 fully loaded or less.

Now if it is invincibility you want? Go for the 787BR26B 4-rotor engine. It is small, powerful, and still can be used in the Mazda RX-8 (with minor adjustments). Compinsate a bit in the rear of the car to maintain the perfect 50/50 weight ratio ballance and you got yourself a car that can smoke Corvettes. But there are two problems with this dream of mine... Finding this engine for personal use and buying this engine for personal use...

Hope this helped. When i get mine ill look for you on the battlefield. I am always looking for an honorable challenge. And please, learne to race so you don't turn into just another wanna-B Vinn Diesel.

Oh, and remember, this car is not a Subaru or an Evo. It is not all wheel drive. It doesn't have 300 horses. It DOES falls short in the quarter mile by about 1.1 seconds... But that is JUST 1.1 seconds.
OK, WOW where to begin.
1. You are a narrow-minded racist *** of some sort. Where do you get off stereotyping the stupidity of cheap parts and budget-tuners as "FOR HISPANICS"...What the hell do you know. Nothing. For starters that is the greyist area racist remark that I think I have seen permitted on any forum. I think that before you come out to these forums, post your worthless 2 F*&kin cents on the internet you get your facts straight and leave your pretencious red-neck, good-ole-boy comments to yourself. And just so there is no mis-conceptions, I happen to be hispanic and I own a modified 2004 mazda RX8 that if you want to see my credentials do a search for the phiadelphia auto show 2007 tuner salon pictures. mine is the only rx8 there.

2. As for your original question about HP/TQ. the RX8 was perfectly built for balance and Mazda made them use the most of there avaliable equipment. That means minor bolt-on mods will increase characteristics sought but not major HP.
for instance most CAI (cold air intakes) will give you better linear acceleration but overall HP with the best systems only free up maybe 3-10 HP at the wheels. REVI makes the best system currently with a full enclosed CAI with an optional ram-air tubing to the box. this has actually shown intake temp. drop and +12HP.
3.Exhaust systems the same deal. Unless you go with say a Straight pipe that gives a CEL(check engine light) or the RP Supercat Mid-pipe which has a high flow cat but should stop the CEL issue your only option honestly is to find an exhaust finish that give you the melodious note that you like more than major HP increase. I own the MAZDASPEED SP2 exhaust. much deeper richer sound but not over-bearing.
do a search for aftermarket exhaust. (Again don't exspect major difference in power. better flow and usually increase of 2-12 HP is average)

Unless you are looking for major $$$ spending this should really be about it. sorry but the car is perfectly balanced.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:11 AM

HP upgrade list + exspected HP gains:
1.intake CAI(2-10HP. smother acceleration)
2exhaust (Just find one you like the look of 2-12 HP. smoother acc.)
3. mid-pipe (if you are serious go with test-pipe, louder,will get CEL, 8-14 HP. much faster acc.)
4.unorthodox underdrive pulleys (mostly helps acc. by lowering parasitic loss by weight reduction. 2-4 HP)
5.short-shifter kit (best going are mazdaspeed and axialflow.com. allows better gear movement fast shifting)
6.lighter flightwheel. stronger clutch combination. (can be bought in packages. good for much faster acc. noHP increase, but will be much faster inacceleration)

7. IF YOU HAVE GONE THIS FAR THEN STAND BY FOR REAL MONEY AND RESEARCH:
Go to RX8club.com and start searching through the majorhorsepower forum section.
( this will compile all the latest information on Superchargers (3 Major ones) and turbos (4 to 5 systems)
each of these systems will add from low-end 40 HP to mazsports 400HP system with prices starting at $3,800-$10,000

I hope this helps guys and ladies.

P.S. If anybody agrees with the racist above about hispanics look up rgonza a member from Puertorico. running a self built 3-rotor rx8 and leading the transplanted engine group of RX8 members. 450HP-800HP
with 1/4 mile slips in the 9sec range.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:49 PM

DO NOT PUT TURBO on a Rottay!! You guys nuts.
Thank you for your interest in GReddy [/align]It has been talked about, But with the Rotary engine being hard enough to smog as is , especially with emissions laws at the highest they have ever been it is almost impossible forturbo kits to pass with the added turbo . we are trying but i wouldnt see this happening anytime soon if at all. Unless you plan on racing your RX-8 and dumping alot of money into the sport, Putting a turbo on a rottary engine for everyday driving will eventually destroy it. http://www.greddy.com/[/align]