Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

RX8 flat battery... help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Angry RX8 flat battery... help!

My RX8 had a completely flat battery a week ago so I bought a brand new one (old one only less than a year old) and now it still wont start.

I had the RACQ out in desperation and they said the new battery is fine and went along the line of the computer no longer recognises the key or something?

I am very frustrated and dont know what to do next.
My husband used to be a mechanic but this car is just so hard to work out.

I have had it flood before but this seems different to this, for instance when I got the new battery it wouldnt try to wind over but the wipers came on and wouldnt turn off??? what the??? any help greatly appreciated

I feel like selling the car because when anything happens no one seems to know what to do to fix it easily.

I really do love it and when it goes it goes... but gee when it stops it stops!!

Old 06-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Default battery woes continued

Hi please if anyone has had something simular or a mazda techy?
The battery has been replaced but car wont attempt to even wind over, the electricals seem to have gone mad...does it need a computer reset or something???

Old 06-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Rx8gal I cannot stress this enough. Take this car to a mazda dealer and have a good mazda tech diag the car and verify what is wrong. You need to find what is draining the battery, The pcm needs to be scaned for trouble codes and to see what is working and what is not. You do not want to guess and throw parts at it. Parts are expensive on this car. Believe me i work on these every day. There is to much going on with this car that is giving you trouble and more damage can be caused by a tech that is not trained on the Rx8. The dealer also has the tech support from mazda. I hope this helps

Last edited by carfixer2; 06-23-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:41 PM

Hi Carfixer2,

I contacted my local Mazda dealer and they said they could not diagnose the car and for me to take it to an auto electrician.
It has now been towed to my mechanic who is working with the auto electrician to diagnose the car.
This is my biggest frustration and disappointment with owning an RX8 being, no one seems to know anything about them (in my local area anyway) and fobs it off or diagnosing every small problem to needing a new engine. I live near to Brisbane which is a capital city mind you.
It was Mazda (two different dealers) who told me I needed a new engine when the car was just flooded.

Thank you so much, I know you are giving your best advice and if my Mazda dealers had a better knowledge it makes perfect sense and was my first point of contact. When they cant help I am abandoned and have to try forums (how I self diagnosed the engine flooding) and thought it was worth a shot again this time.

I will let you know the outcome, unfortunately the long term outcome will be probably be, I will trade the car on something I can get fixed a lot easier. Thing is what the heck can I buy that measures up to the look and power of the 8.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:13 PM

RX8gal. Where is this Mazda dealer at that cannot diag a Rx8. There is no excuse for you to be told that answer. What part of the country are you from. Please let me know. If they are in the states I will be happy to make a phone call to the right people at Mazda. Not being able to fix cars at the dealership where I am at is not tollerated. Anyway let me know if I can help.

Last edited by carfixer2; 06-26-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:13 AM

Hi Carfixer

I am in Brisbane Australia (capital of the State of Queensland), I thought it pretty bad myself and why I am so frustrated with the car.... no one seems to know anything about them.

I have had it suggested from another forum person that the 120A fuse could be gone (the current problem) so I will make a call tomorrow to ensure the auto electrician checks this. I think it has been checked but will double check.

Also I keep getting told from dealers here that the car will only do 80000 KLMs and need a engine rebuild or replacement do you agree with this?
Dealer said he has never seen one do more than 120000 klms.

When RACQ (24hour auto break down service) came other day they said straight away "these things only do 80000 so probably motor due for rebuild". When it flooed oh this car has done 70000 due for engine rebuild probably your problem.... *argh* I found out from forum most likely only flooded and towed it and fixed it... dealer wanted to charge $6000 for new engine!!

Dealers will only replace with a new crate engine here from Japan.

thanks again

Old 06-27-2010, 05:39 PM

Hi there rx8 gal,
just curious to know what year your car is? If iys 04 i have herd of this sort of thing before?

Old 07-04-2010, 06:03 AM

yes 2004 Nick

Old 07-04-2010, 06:10 AM

I have been told my car is running and it was a "fusable link"... I get to pick it up tomorrow so will ask some questions so I better understand what took place you guys probably know