Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

New RX8 or RX8 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Default New RX8 or RX8 turbo?

Hey everyone,

Well, I'm not a Mazda owner yet but I deffinately am going to be soon. I just need everyones opinion on a personal matter at hand.
So I walk into the local Mazda dealership today naturally looking at the new 08 RX8s in the showroom. A salesman comes up to speak with me. He asks me what is the number one reason why I wanted to get an RX8? I said for the performance of course....
He pulls me aside and shows me an 04 RX8 for a significantly less amount of money than the 08. He tells me that this is the car I should get. I ask him why...he says because it has a turbo and puts nearly 350HP to the rear weels. Immediately I am drawn toward this car that looks in almost as good as shape as the 2008s in the showroom. I look under the hood and the turbo job looks very clean and the engine looks brand new. I also find out that a very respected performance shop in my city performed the operation on this beast.
Now my question to everyone is which car should I go for?My number one draw back was that the RX8has lower horsepower than itscompetitors ie. 350Z, G35. Owning a turbo RX8 that can practically keep up with a Vette would be awesome!!!!!!!
My number one concern however is reliability. I questioned the salesmen about this matter and he assured me that the Renesis engines were very durable and reliable and could handle the turbo. However I have buddies that havetold me that engine rebuilds are required after50k miles, using a turbo of course.
Performance is important to me however I understand that putting a turbo on an RX8 is upwards of 20 thousand dollars so it is not something I want to do out of my own pocket. So overall I want the performance but I don't want to sacrafice reliability and potential problems down the road, esspecially expensive repairs. Anyway, any thoughts about the pros and cons of both options would be greatly appretiated amongst all Mazda enthusists. Can't wait to get my RX8!

Old 03-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Default RE: New RX8 or RX8 turbo?

I'll reply with strictly biased opinions on HP and low end torque in sports cars. Up to speeds of about 150 mph, on the track, an RX8 can keep up with or out run any LS3 Vette on the market, assuming you and the other driver are of equal experience and have equal equipment mods. If you go up against a Z06, ZR1 or even an LS3 or LS7 Vette in a drag race with a stock RX8, you are probably toast. Even with a turbo, in the first 3 seconds, you have a lot of torque to overcome against the Vettes. There is a reason that 04/05 RX8's are on sale generally cheap. If you look at the forums here and others, those years had a lot of engine problems, even if the engine was replaced during those years 04/05 or even early 06, it was still likely to be by a version of the same engine. 06 and on, have had most if not all major/serious engine problems solved. I will say that on other RX8 forums i don't see nearly as many engine problems as on this forum... i don't know why, except that this forum has attracted more trolls in my opinion. You mention performance as important, but you emphasize torque and H.P. they are only 2 parts of the equation. Drive the Cali. coast highway at speed, or a good road track, and within the same class you will find out that H.P. and torque are no match for driver skill and the vehicles handling, on twisting, hilly, blind curve roads. For street driving only, and I think thats what you will be doing, i'd personally stay away from the 04 turbo RX8 in question unless you are handy with a wrench and have deep pockets... I suspect all you will get are bragging rights along with some serious upkeep problems. I suspect that's still the one you want because it's a TURBO an has H.P. so be prepared to pay twice, once to buy it and again to fix it and keep it running. Buy the new RX8 get a 6sp manual find an open hilly twisty country road and have a ball driving like an F1 GT driver, safely of course .

[IMG]local://upfiles/9959/8578AC6907894DABB3929683CCF1DEAE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Default RE: New RX8 or RX8 turbo?

I agree with xxxmaxximusxxx100%.

The first model year always has its share of problems. Putting a turbo on only makes those problems more pronounced. You will have much more fun in a car that doesn't break every other day, and the stock RX-8 is no slouch.

There's a reason why the salesman pointed you toward the '04, and his reason doesn't match your reason.