Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

Not flooded, may be immobilizer, homeless need help

Old 01-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Default Not flooded, may be immobilizer, homeless need help

Hello,

Sorry for my first post to be a question about a problem I'm having but am desperate. Will not tell a sob story but the RX 8 is my home right now and I do not have a lot of money so any help would be appreciated. I tried another forum but my accounts restricted until a mod approves it.

2004 RX 8 MT

Yesterday I blew a fuse to the radio, did not notice until a more significant problem developed. Also yesterday I started the car and it paused before cranking, but started right up. Power went off then it cranked like normal.

I left it idling for a few hours to use the heat and my lab top. Turned it off and took a nap and when I awoke to start it up, nothing. Well, not nothing, all the lights came on and the immobilizer kept flashing. Lights lit up dash, everything. Did not notice the radio yet. I tried jump starting then push starting it (MT) and it would kick a little but not even try to start really.

This is when I noticed my keyless entry did not work, nor my radio or overhead lights. I then check the fuses and found a bad one and changed it. All the electrical stuff was strong. I dont have access to a voltometer (sp?) but all lights were bright and power accessories were strong, much in fact way stronger than when I've ran the battery dead a few times.

When I ran the battery dry a few times I was able to push start it or jump it with out any problems. So I dont think its the battery.

I tried this morning again several times with the help of some nice day laborers to push start it...got it up to 17mph and still would only kick a little but seemed something was stopping it from starting.

I've ran the battery down now using my lab top to try and find a solution. I think its the immobilizer but want to be certain. any way to proved this is the problem....I don't have a lot of money so you can understand my desire to correct the problem the 1st try.

If I am correct about the info I've found, I have to take it to a dealership for them to reprogram the immobilizer and key. Can someone give me an estimate of that or maybe an easy fix. I've searched everywhere but seems when I find a thread similar to my problem the answer always comes via PM and the OP does not say if he fixed the prob.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 AM

when was the last time you changed your battery? You are supposed to get a new battery anywhere from 3-5 years. It very well could be your battery about to die, causing most of the electronic things in the car to not work.

I doubt it would be the engine immobilizer. The immobilizer is something that the car has so it cannot be started without your key, example: hotwiring.