Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

6 speed RX8 or auto RX8

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 03:09 PM
EZE
Default 6 speed RX8 or auto RX8

I just wanted to know if an automatic rx8 is worth the buy or should u just get the stick?

Old 02-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Default RE: 6 speed RX8 or auto RX8

Get the stick. Performance and mileage are better with a stick. The only time I don't like having a stick is in heavy stop/go traffic

Old 05-03-2007, 02:55 PM

I very recently bought a 6 speed automatic RX8 GT, and I'm over all very happy with it. It has paddle shifters on the steering wheel as well as a "stick" shift mode on the center console. I've found manual shifting to be fun on the open freeways or coastal country roads, if there isn't a lot of traffic, but a nuisance in town. In my urban area or heavy traffic i switch to full auto shift and let it do its thing. So far my fuel economy is about 17 mpg, but I'm still in a break-in period with less than 800 miles on it. My fuel concerns isn't so much with the milage as it is with the smallish size of the gas tank, 15.9 gallons. I'm planning on a road trip in 3 months of about 2600 miles of mostly desert driving, some of it off the beaten path. I'm estimating I will need to stop for fuel about every 12 gallons or approx. every 230/240 miles or every 3 hours or so, not exactly Grand Touring capabilities.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:25 PM

id get the stick,
i got my mazda3 in a 5spd, and im glad i did...
altho, the one thing i dont like is the fact that i cant rest my arm on the window ledge and shift and the same time... cuz that means i have no hands on the wheel...

oh, and manual trannys are better for, you know, peeling out (ie, revving it up to 4k and dropping the clutch)

Old 05-08-2007, 02:10 AM

Try a redline start but ease in the clutch, see how good of a start you'll get.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:44 AM

your a dumbass tmr net shark

Old 06-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Ash

Stick, I can't imagine it's as much fun in an auto

Old 06-11-2007, 06:09 PM

Well, if you get the automatic and you are not use to using the pattleshifters and use the stick shift on the center consule you shift correctly, because you can end up shifting into neutrol and pray you don't shift into reverse. I was at the dealer doing a oil change on mine when a tow truck came in with one on the flat bed. I hope the guy is still under warranty, I would not want to know how much they cost.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:37 AM

Who in their right mind puts an automatic tranny in a sports car??! Bad move for Mazda. The Automatic brought down the overall reliability of the RX-8 on JD Powers. Read bad reviews of the reliablity of Automatic RX-8.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:41 PM

Demoncroft said>>>>>>>Well, if you get the automatic and you are not use to using the pattleshifters and use the stick shift on the center consule you shift correctly, because you can end up shifting into neutrol and pray you don't shift into reverse. I was at the dealer doing a oil change on mine when a tow truck came in with one on the flat bed. I hope the guy is still under warranty, I would not want to know how much they cost.<<<<<<

I keep wondering how this would be possible....I've got a late model RX8 automatic with paddle shift, and floor shift mode...because of the lock out and shift gate; I can't see how anyone could possibly shift from a forward gear to reverse or neutral accidentally. I suspect Demoncroft hasn't actually ever been in a new RX 8 to see how it is configured. I won't call him a liar that wouldn't be gentlemanly, but I think he is full of crap. As for those who argue against automatics in a sports car, fair enough, but...what about dual clutch or semiautomatic or even Formula 1 type clutch-less shifting???? Don't tell the drivers of those very expensive and exotic cars that they aren't driving a sports car, you may be looked upon as an uneducated loutish dolt. Ferrari, Alfas, Maserati, Lamborghini, Porsche, Aston Martin, Audi, BMW and nearly all other top end sports cars can come equipped with clutch-less or automatic shifters, some exclusively so. Two pedals or three pedals on the floor won't change a driver’s competence level. AND if anyone would take the time to look at Mazdas web site or at a dealer sticker, you will see that Mazda rates the automatic at a slightly higher mileage rating than the stick model. But, Demoncroft and some others can't be expected to know that since they have apparently never seen the inside of or driven a technologically balanced modern automobile.

Quick Reply: 6 speed RX8 or auto RX8