Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

windshild whiper fluid doesn't spray but wipers work fine

Old 02-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Default windshild whiper fluid doesn't spray but wipers work fine

Hi, so the other day I was driving fine using my wipers and the fluid good there was no problems or nothing so I parked my car. 3 hours later when I came back out and started my car everything was fine after when I tried to spray my fluid onto my windshield to clean it nothing came out the wipers would work fine but no fluid came out. I tough it might be that I was empty so I went and bought more windshield fluid and wen I tried to use it same problems. Any Idea's of what could of happen everything was fine and 3 hours later it doesn't work anymore?

Old 02-22-2009, 12:02 AM

there is a little pump on either the top or bottom of the bottle that you could check on. i have never personally serviced it, so that is all of the advice that i can give you.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:44 AM

I'll do you one better. Mine started doing the same thing about 2 months ago. Except, some times it'll go a few days where it won't spray, then for a couple days it will spray. I knew the wipers had an intermittent option but I didn't think the sprayer did as well???

Old 02-22-2009, 12:42 PM

is there any ice/snow covering the nozzles?

Old 02-22-2009, 01:42 PM

I looked and I couldn't find the pump on top of the bottle. No there's no ice or snow covering the nozzle they look perfect. would you know how to fix that intermittent option or do did u wait it out?

Old 03-06-2009, 05:03 PM

how cold is it ? what temp is washer fluid rated ? does the washer fluid work after engine warms the engine compartment? this can be a reason for intermittant washer spray

Old 03-17-2009, 01:00 AM

Trace the washer plumbing backwards to as close to the reservoir bottle as you can. Disconnect the tubing there and try the squirt with wipers running. If it "pees" fluid, the problem is obstructed nozzles or plumbing, possibly due to freeze up. If it doesn't "pee", its electrical, i.e. pump, wiring, fuse, or stalk switch related.
With the engine stopped, turn the key to pre-start, i.e. all the instrument panel warning lights on. Operate the spray and the wipers should run for several wipes, and you should be able to hear the washer pump motor running. If the squirt works on some of the wiper switch settings but not on others, the problem is with the stalk switch.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:21 PM

oldeng's advice is good. If you have fluid spray with the tube disconnected from the spray nozzles, then your pump and electrics are okay. I had this problem once and it was caused by debris in the spray nozzles. I used a sewing needle to clear the obstruction. My nozzles were like little ball sockets inside a mounting bracket and I had to re-aim them by sticking the needle back into the nozzle and moving them around after I cleared the obstruction. On the first try, they sprayed up over the top of my windshield.