Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Whirring noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:10 AM
Default Whirring noise

slight whirring from driver side when coasting/slowing down. had the shop do a test drive and they said it could be a bad engine mount. as stupid as that sounded i still replaced all the mounts because they needed it anyways, that did nothing so far ive done
all mounts
new driver side wheel bearing

anyone have any input or know of a how-to for replacing the transaxle bearings?
2002 2.0l protege ES sportshift A/T

Old 05-18-2011, 12:28 PM

I'd first give your CV axles a close look. The inners can make a whirring noise as well, and unlike the outer joints, can make the noise regardless of whether you're making a turn or not. The shaft naturally slides in the inner cup towards and away from the tranny, but the fit should be tight. If there is much vertical wiggle of the shaft inside the inner cv cup, it can make that noise when you lightly accelerate or you're engine breaking slowing down, sort of like a playing card in bicycle spokes.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by vw.fe2o3
I'd first give your CV axles a close look. The inners can make a whirring noise as well, and unlike the outer joints, can make the noise regardless of whether you're making a turn or not. The shaft naturally slides in the inner cup towards and away from the tranny, but the fit should be tight. If there is much vertical wiggle of the shaft inside the inner cv cup, it can make that noise when you lightly accelerate or you're engine breaking slowing down, sort of like a playing card in bicycle spokes.
I appreciate your input, thank you. Today when i was coasting i kicked it into neutral and the noise stopped, the noise continues in every gear at a coast but not in neutral so im thinking it may be an output shaft bearing, but whatever it is, its definitely in the tranny.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:45 AM

Ugh, oh well. Just throwing you some hope it could be something else much simpler to replace. I'm faced with differential bearing replacement, so I'm about to destroy lots of free time in mine as well.
PM sent, check your inbox.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by vw.fe2o3
Ugh, oh well. Just throwing you some hope it could be something else much simpler to replace. I'm faced with differential bearing replacement, so I'm about to destroy lots of free time in mine as well.
PM sent, check your inbox.
your the man thanks! i dont know how but you sent me to a forum for the sportshift automatic which is what im messing with! great info thanks again.