Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

trans/shifter/linkage broke

Old 11-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Exclamation trans/shifter/linkage broke

Ive got an 01 protege 2.0 LX manual sedan. Well its my brothers car. Hes been having some trouble shifting into reverse in the past, and I drove it to the store today. I got what I needed and got back in the car. started it up, shifted in reverse, released ebrake, and the car would not move. (tried to back up and car just stayed in same spot and engine started stalling. I shift it out of reverse and into 5th, and tried to put it back into reverse, but the shifter is stuck in the 5th gear position. However; I was, and still am, able to move the car in reverse now. The trans wont come out of reverse, and the shifter is stuck in the 5th gear position. I tried forcing it out, but no luck. If anyone has had this problem or similar, please respond!! Thanks in advance.
Im guessing its a fork or shifter link (I own a 93 300zx and is rear wheel and am very familiar with the mechanics of rear wheel drive, I am clueless to a front wheel drive vehicle.) If anyone can respond asap that would be great, Im in Rhode Island right now, and am supposed to be leaving tomorrow morning at 4 to go back to MD, but I know thats not going to happen.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:24 PM

The hard to get in reverse is usually a worn reverse idler gear. It sounds like the trans stayed partially in whatever gear you were in when you shut it off. Going into two gears at once generally indicates a worn shift fork/sleeve. There are check ***** and springs for the shift rods on the side of the trans case. You might be able to loosen those bolts to take the pressure off the shift rods and get it to shift. The bolts look like they don't hold anything on. Do not remove them,just loosen them as much as you can without removing them. One bolt actually connects to the reverse idler shift fork. You remove it and you will likely have to remove the trans and case to reinstall it.

Last edited by hixx; 11-28-2014 at 09:27 PM.