Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Throttle Position Sensor / Computer - Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Default Throttle Position Sensor / Computer - Help!!!

My 99 Protege was taken to my mechanic a few months ago when the check engine light came on and the car started bucking. The code that came up indicated that the TPS was the problem - it was replaced. The car has been back 2 times since because the problem is still occuring and my mechainc is baffled. Here are the symptoms -

- check engine light comes on when problems happen but then will also go out and car is fine
- car "bucks" when accellerating with slow to medium throttle - no problems with heavier accelleration
- when slowing from higher speeds with car in gear and no throttle (obviously), it does not slow as excpected and actually tends to pull forward slightly
- when problems are occuring, if the car is in idle, the rpms go up and down 600- 1100
- when outside temperature falls below freezing the problem is non-existant (I live in a cold climate and it is winter right now) when it warms to 40 degrees (5 C) or more it starts
- all indications from the computer show that it is the TPS - going above 4.9V at times (maybe loose ground wire?) but physical testing of all wiring shows no problems

There are no service bulletins regarding this problem and my mechanic has suggested that it may be the computer itself detecting a problem that doesn't actually exist. Unfortunately, the last couple of times I have been able to leave the car for a day, the weather has been sufficiently cold enough that the problem is not happening.

Does anyone have any ideas???

Old 03-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Default RE: Throttle Position Sensor / Computer - Help!!!

Do you recall what the code number was that was set initially and is this same code being reset each time with no others also being stored? Also what engine do you have in the Protege.

Old 03-11-2006, 04:13 PM

I'm not sure which code number it is but I could easily find out. It is the same code each time and no other codes are being tripped. The engine is 1.6L.

I noticed on a site called "alldata.com" that there was a TSB issued in May 99 - 0500499 "Engine - Intermittently Hesitates or Jerks"

Old 03-14-2006, 11:15 PM

There are a number of TSB's from Mazda on various driveability issues and CEL coming on. MAF sensors have created a number of problems as well as leaking intake gaskets. I ask for the code only because sometimes an aftermarket scanner get the code number right but the description as to fault area is off. Post up with that code and maybe we can figure out a solution. Also, if you would mind sending a PM message or posting with your VIN, I will look up to see if the MAF sensor has been replaced. There is a warranty extension on that part as well.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:10 PM

ORIGINAL: nitz

My 99 Protege was taken to my mechanic a few months ago when the check engine light came on and the car started bucking. The code that came up indicated that the TPS was the problem - it was replaced. The car has been back 2 times since because the problem is still occuring and my mechainc is baffled. Here are the symptoms -

- check engine light comes on when problems happen but then will also go out and car is fine (need to know the code(s) number(s)
- car "bucks" when accellerating with slow to medium throttle - no problems with heavier accelleration(could be that your TPS in not adjusted correctly)
- when slowing from higher speeds with car in gear and no throttle (obviously), it does not slow as excpected and actually tends to pull forward slightly(same as above)
- when problems are occuring, if the car is in idle, the rpms go up and down 600- 1100(this could be an IAC valve but really doubt it)
- when outside temperature falls below freezing the problem is non-existant (I live in a cold climate and it is winter right now) when it warms to 40 degrees (5 C) or more it starts(Temp sensor would cause other symptoms such as too much fuel or not enough)
- all indications from the computer show that it is the TPS - going above 4.9V at times (maybe loose ground wire?) but physical testing of all wiring shows no problems(TPS should never go over 4.9V, this needs to be verified)

There are no service bulletins regarding this problem and my mechanic has suggested that it may be the computer itself detecting a problem that doesn't actually exist. Unfortunately, the last couple of times I have been able to leave the car for a day, the weather has been sufficiently cold enough that the problem is not happening.

Does anyone have any ideas???

Old 03-20-2006, 09:54 PM

I had a similar problem with my '94 Protege DOHC about 5-6 months ago... The car would jerk around, and sometimes quit running and refuse to start altogether. I thought it may have been the TPS as well, but it turned out to be the distributor. After the distributor was replaced, the car hasn't given me any issues since.

The thing is though, the mechanic has to catch the car "red handed", when the check engine light is on - that way, the computer will give him the proper diagnosis for the problem. Sometimes, my car wouldn't show symptoms while around mechanic(s), so they thought the vehicle was perfectly fine!

Umm, if that is a '99 - you should be able to pick up a code reader from Walmart or something... Then the next time the check engine light comes on, plug that thing in and see what it says

I don't know if that helps or not... Hope you get the problem fixed!