Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

stuttering when giving gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 09:56 PM
Default stuttering when giving gas

have 95 protégé 1.5l was running good then started stuttering when giving it gas till dies. it idles great and in park can gently give gas and rev fine put when push down on gas quickly it starts stuttering till dies have changed plugs, wires, distributor cab and rotor, fuel filter nothing has helped it does act like starving for gas but is getting gas need help please

Old 09-26-2014, 10:33 PM

Hi john123:

This sounds like a bad air intake hose, or another vacuum leak. A vacuum leak messes up the reading by the MAF sensor. That makes the air to fuel ratio too lean and it misfires or dies. Take that air intake hose off and bend it to see if there are cracks in the rippled section. If so wrap it up tightly with duct tape and put it back. If you have an extra $60 or so buy a new hose.

by the way, there is an "unofficial user's guide to the '95- 98 Mazda Protege". It's a sticky on the Protege forum. It's worth reading, but I am biased.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:26 PM

I had recently put the new air intake hose on it but checked again it is good and vacuum seems good in all areas do you know what I should read on the mass air flow sensor but when I do leave unhook it will not start or wht I should read from throttle positioner it has a gas smell run idleing like running rich wich like you sad not mixing right

Old 09-27-2014, 02:13 PM

Could be not a hot enough spark ( ignition coil ) it should be a nice blue spark, not orange ).could be a bad fuel pressure regulator ( remove the vacuum hose and check for raw fuel ) It could be a bad MAF. [I]f you smell fuel then it is likely not the fuel pump. Bang on the cat converter to see if it came apart.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:35 PM

Did get a code reader it has 2 codes I can not find

P00FF
C09B8

Any ideas thanks

Old 09-27-2014, 03:42 PM

I checked the fuel pressure regulator the vacuum is good no gas in the vacuum side crimped the recirculation hose from it no different the Maf reads good and cars shut off when unplug it the cat conv is good the only other code besides above is P0335 which is crank sensor but that has been on for over a year and ran fine till now

Old 09-27-2014, 03:50 PM

Sounds like a bad coil. It is inside the distributor.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:23 PM

thanks the price is unreal though going to order one and see but i go over what i have checked just in case missing anything
changed wires
changed plugs
changed fuel filter
change distributor cap and button
took exhaust loose before cat
checked vacuum all good
checked air intake hose good
checked MAF checked out good and cleaned
checked TPS it checked out good
crimped fuel return hose from to make sure kept pressure no change
it will idle good can gently press gas will rev up fine that way but soon push as normal it just stutters
checked spark at night to see better by using new plug and unplug gas injector ground plug crank spark does look orange till rev up then starts to turn bluish/white

Old 09-28-2014, 07:45 PM

I got a remanufactured "Cordone" from RockAuto for a bout $250 if memory serves.

That's all I found on code P00FF:
P00ff fuel air metering aux emission controls,

I wish I knew what that means.
I went through your list of things done/checked and did not see anything about the fuel injectors.

Also check the spark by looking at the color, you want blue, not orange.

Last edited by tanprotege; 09-28-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:09 PM

you smell the gas pulled new plugs they are black now double checked spark it is orange found a new distributor on ebay for $90 the place has great feedback so buying one from there hope get it by this weekend thanks for everybody's help

Quick Reply: stuttering when giving gas