Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Starting problems with 97 Protege it starts but reluctantly

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Default Starting problems with 97 Protege it starts but reluctantly

Please help, any input is appreciated. The problem seems to be exasparated in cold weather. I am looking for direction. Standard efforts have been applied, Fuel filter 2-16-2005, new plugs, rotor, distributor, PCV valve and wires11-19-05.coolant temp stensor 3-30-08, tested Air sensor recentlyapplying Ohm Meter at room temp. recieving reading of 7 then after 1 hour in freezer 20 ohms. Not problem. Recenly discoved fuel rail leading to regulator has vacume tubeleaving regulator attaqching to silonoid valve which was broke off and vacume tube hanging. I felt confident problem was solved. It was not.
Now anyhelp in a direction would be greatly appriciated

thanks in advance

Old 11-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Default RE: Starting problems with 97 Protege it starts but reluctantly

this morning car barley started it was not cold in the 50's, same after work. While driving to work I thought it makes sense that the fuel delivery is the problem so I was thinking, New Fuel Pump, New Fuel Regulator, and new fuel Filter. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Today is Sunday and I am parking this car and will use another car for my comute to work.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:29 PM

I replaced the fuel filter and took the car to local mechanic for diagnostic. Found the Fuel Pressure to be 45 PSI and It should have pressure between 64 and 92 PSI. Brought car home and replaced fuel pump and screen (About $200.00). Looks as though this may have solved the problem. Will coment after tomorrow mornings start.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:51 PM

This forum is starting to feel more like a journal. Either way after few days attempted to start car and again found same problem. Engine crank, cranks and reluctantly starts after 2 or 3 minutes. Wow what should be done now Fuel regulator? I am almost wondering if it's something completely different??????

Old 12-03-2008, 11:04 PM

that might be your starter it sounds like the starter is acting up if it cranks but nothing happens for a while, im not sure how you can check that but all i know is next time it doesn't start take a wrench hit your starter with it a few times if it starts right away after its your starter.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:44 PM

darkstar thanks for the advice, but I think I wasn't describing the situation clear enough. When I say nothing is hapening I was incorrect what is happening is the engine is cranking over and over and over and over. This goes on and it keeps acting like it is going to start I pump the gas, hold the pedal to the floor 2 to 3 minutes is a long time. I plead with her to start, say come on, come on. finally it will start and after it does. I can turn it off and it will restart. After the trouble start it will drive and run fine. I am so baffeled.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:34 PM

im woundering if your fuel filter is plugged or maybe your spark plugs might be going... thats all i can really think of right now if i think of something else ill let you know sorry

Old 12-09-2008, 10:30 PM

Darkstar, since you are the only one paying any attention to my problem I really really appriciate your input, however I changed the fuel filter on 11-21-08, and the spark pulgs March 30-08. My problem existed before this so the Plugs did not help. What is wrong here???? After the car starts it runs and acts perfectly. 6 hours later when you try to start it it is the same game. Crank the engine over and over and when your consious says you should stop you crank it, butmore crankingand it will start. Go figure? Mabey fuel regulator? Is the preasure falling off while car is off due to pinhole in fuel line?? Can anyone read these issues and though out some ideas. It would be Greatly, Greatly appriciated.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:14 PM

okay. sounds like a problem so let us help you.

After the crank and no start episode you should pull one of your spark plugs and smell it. Do you smell gasoline? Then fuel probably aint the problem.

Next, check for spark by watching the plug while cranking. (I think this might be where the problem is.) If you need directions for "how to check for spark" the go to auto zone dot com slash repaire info ...That way we dont have to type up a whole book, Do dome research, there are many iternet pages that explaine such thing as "timing" All these cars are pretty muvh the same. Read up on it and ask questions about waht applies to th mazda 1.5(I dont type well enough to expain it all)

Look for a PULL IT YOURSELF junkyard in your area. You might need a distributer...who knows maybe just plugs wires or cap. I know you said they were changed, but...

You did not mention checking coolant temp sensor. It is more importantthan air sensor.
Also check light status....and if the season change brought this problem,

Old 12-10-2008, 06:21 PM

ORIGINAL: ecousin

Darkstar, since you are the only one paying any attention to my problem I really really appriciate your input, however I changed the fuel filter on 11-21-08, and the spark pulgs March 30-08. My problem existed before this so the Plugs did not help. What is wrong here???? After the car starts it runs and acts perfectly. 6 hours later when you try to start it it is the same game. Crank the engine over and over and when your consious says you should stop you crank it, butmore crankingand it will start. Go figure? Mabey fuel regulator? Is the preasure falling off while car is off due to pinhole in fuel line?? Can anyone read these issues and though out some ideas. It would be Greatly, Greatly appriciated.

And another thing toresearch is " compression check" prferably a "leak down test"

Quick Reply: Starting problems with 97 Protege it starts but reluctantly