Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Stalling, fluttering, and loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 02:02 AM
Default Stalling, fluttering, and loss of power

I drive a 1995 Mazda Protege DX. It has been a great car up until recently. The car has been fluttering, it has a loss of power, and sometimes it will completely quit. I think that it may be the EGR Valve but am not 100% certain. Any thoughts?

Old 03-21-2007, 03:31 AM
Default RE: Stalling, fluttering, and loss of power

if you think it is the egr, take it off and see if it slides smoothly. if it slides but is gritty, just take some brake parts cleaner and clean it up. there are a large number of other things that this could be though. it all depends on what exactly it is doing. it could be a spark problem instead, but i would try cleaning the egr up a little first if you think that is where it is.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:31 AM

wsoape231,

I have the DX 1.6 2000 Protege. I recently got a CEL. Code is PO402 "EGR Flow Excessive Detected". You make it sound so easy. Is the EGR Valve the black round plastic piece on Middle back of Engine ? If so, how do I clean it ? I see no moving parts on this device. Thanks.

Dino1956

Old 03-21-2007, 11:27 PM

i'm not that familiar with your motor in specific but the egr should bea little smaller thanyour fist and should mounted to the side of the block. it has kind of a bell at one end of it and has vacuum lines coming off of it. it should also have a sensor plugged into the bell end of it.

now, like i said, i'm not sure exactly what the set up is on your motor so it may be a slighly different place than that, but it shouldn't be far from there. it should just have two bolts through it and there should be a bell on one end of it. on the bell end, there is a vacuum hose and if you suck on the end where the hose hooks up, it will open it.

just take brake cleaner after you take it off and spray all down in it while it's opened and closed. after the brake cleaner runs clear, it will be clean. if it is badly clogged, the problem may be further back into the connection. look where it connects to the rest of the engine and see how bad that build-up is and if it is really bad, hit me back for more. this post is getting too long andmy knowledge of your motor is running out so i will do my homework on your motor and you do the labor, we'll let each other know how it goes.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:58 AM

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

if you go here, you will find a picture of the egr. you just have to put in all of the info about your car. the egr is listed under emissions. the ports that are facing you in the picture are the ports that need to be cleaned. i haven't found out where it is located on your motor, but i hope this will help you out. the small tip at the top where the vacuum hose connects is where you can suck and it will open the valve. another possibility is that theMAP sensormay be fouled up. if it idles high then lowover and over, then it is the map sensor.