Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

squealing noise

Old 05-28-2006, 04:13 AM
Default squealing noise

Hi,

I had all the belts replaced on my Proto not too long ago, and I noticed it was squealing afterwards at times. Well, I've kind of been ignoring it because it hasn't been tooo bad and I'm sorta busy. I don't know if they need to be tightened or somethin (or how to do it).

It seems to do it when (not always)...

- It's cold (first 5 minutes)
- When it's humid (I'm pretty sure about this)

When I drive it for a while, it seems to stop. Although, I have come off of the freeway after a couple of hours and it will do it again sometimes.

It does it only when I'm taking off in 1st or 2nd.

I also read some technical service bulletin on edmunds.com that a squealing noise could come from the clutch??? http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/r...artner=edmunds

I dunno, maybe I'll just live with it if it doesn't do any damage.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Default RE: squealing noise

My belts have been doing the same thing since I bought the car too. I replaced both belts along with the timing belt. I used Goodyear gatorback belts, so they should be good. I have tightened them several times a little tighter each time. It seems as if after a few days it starts again with the squeeling at a cold start. The problem is that I don't want to overtighten the belts, but I'm also trying to keep them from squeeling. the only conclusion I've come to is to live with it.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:34 PM

Cool, thank you... Yeah, I put Goodyears on as well, and the tension seems to be right. It doesn't always do it, I keep hoping maybe it'll get better after time. But that could be wishful thinking.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:24 PM

Yeah, I'm getting sick of various Pepboys telling me I need my belts replaced, they're brand new and still squeal like a turkey getting raped. I've tried everything, replacing the belts, various tightenings, belt spray, and still I get a bloodcurling squeal - particularly in low gears and when just starting the car (engine is cold). I can sometimes avoid it by not having the A/C or heat fans on when I start the car and get going. However, I can't stop it by turning off the heat. Once the squeal starts, I need to achieve approximately 30 mph and the associated RPMs to eliminate it. Needless to say, occasionally the squeal causes me to exit the occasional parking lot in an uneccesarily reckless fashion.

I think it's a "live with it" problem.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:44 PM

Have you checked to see if the water pump might be leaking a small amount of coolant onto the belts after sitting overnight? Have seen this numerous times when belts are newer and tensioned fine but a little bit of coolant makes them squeal like mad untill the belts throw it all off.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:23 PM

I have come to the conclusion that this is a Protege problem now. And mine has no coolant leaks, or any leaks for that matter.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:06 AM

ORIGINAL: babyhuey

Have you checked to see if the water pump might be leaking a small amount of coolant onto the belts after sitting overnight? Have seen this numerous times when belts are newer and tensioned fine but a little bit of coolant makes them squeal like mad untill the belts throw it all off.
No, I've replaced the water pump... and basically everything else on the darn cooling system. I check the belts frequently for any signs of premature wear or moisture on them, and the look perfectly fine. I dunno about the Protege thang, I might trade in the car for something else after the summer. I really like the BP series engine, but everything else around it seems like crap. I've heard that the drive axles on these cars are a common problem, and I can feel my legs tense up when I drive up a very steep hill (the car has this sorta grinding sensation). It isn't serious, so I think the car will just have to deal.

I've put SO much money into this ride, I'm hoping it's realiable enough to last a year or two without anything else coming up. My first car beared the three diamonds, and it was rock solid. I may be tempted to get another one.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:50 PM

Oh you guys just are full of crappy news!!! [8D]

I'm kidding. I just put on new belts and thought I maybe put them on a tad loose. I was looking for a different issue and stumbled across this one. I hate the thought of dealing with this squeaky belt issue. I'll let you know if I fiddle with them enough to fix it or not. And yes, my symptons are more or less the same. WHen the car first starts or whe it's raining. Thank god it rarely rains in Denver.