Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

squealing and high idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Default squealing and high idle problem

ok i just got my car for graduation. the original engine was blown. i got a new engine for it. it has 48,000 miles on it. i got a machanic to put the new engine in the car. im am haveing problems with it already. when i start it up it runs fine, then when i put it in gear it starts squealing. there is new belts on it so i dont think it is the belt. the other problem i am haveing is it is idleing real high. anyone got any suggestions to try???

~Brandon

Old 11-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Default RE: squealing and high idle problem

I've got the same problem wit mine... my mileage is 40k, original engine. If u ever got it fixed can u tell me what it is?

Old 11-23-2006, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: 99mazda1.6l

when i start it up it runs fine, then when i put it in gear it starts squealing. there is new belts on it so i dont think it is the belt. the other problem i am haveing is it is idleing real high. anyone got any suggestions to try???

~Brandon
New belts can also squeal if they are too tight or too loose, but sometimes for other reasons as well. Belt squealing is very common on 2nd gen. Proteges. Not so sure about 3rd gen. Proteges, which is what you have judging by your user name.I recently changed the belts on my Protege and every time i start up the car it squeals for a few seconds, especially with a cold engine as you first start out in the morning. And it sometimes also squeals when you put a heavy load on the alternator, like turning on your stereo, lights, turn signals, etc.. All these actions cause the RPMs to momentarily go lower, and as a result the belt starts to slip, or something like that. Which is also what i suspect is causing your belt to squeal when putting it in gear, as the RPMs of your engine decrease when you do that and start to take off.
As to what's causing the high idle......well, there could be several reasons: dirty MAF sensor and etc. Do a search on 'high idle' and you'll find many suggestions as to what could be causing that.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:01 PM

you could probably just turn the idle down. the belts squeeling may be fixed by tightening the fan belt.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:58 PM

Even a bad pulley could make squealing noises. Also, about the high idle, check the IAC (idle air controller) along with the mass air flow sensor.